Anyone have any idea what this wood is

Notidanodon

I recently purchase this from a seller who claimed it was fossil wood from India, have you guys heard of Indian fossil wood and it more looks like some type of palm, maybe calamities, but I’m not really sure thanks for looking:ighappy: note how mineralised it is I don’t know what it is though as it is very heavy:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is it possible to get a definitive ID on this or is it not possible with this fragment

9 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

Is it possible to get a definitive ID on this or is it not possible with this fragment

Lycopod is as fine as the ID gets for these as far as I know. My knowledge is limited about it at that level though.

• I found this Informative 1

22 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

And is it possible that it is in fact from India?

With the caveat that I am color blind. The map shows some bedrock labeled as upper paleozoic terrestrial. That could include rocks of the right age.

25 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Lycopod is as fine as the ID gets for these as far as I know. My knowledge is limited about it at that level though.

I agree with the diagnosis of the specimen. 

I should have added some more information. Stigmaria is the name generally given to the various root casts of the Pennsylvanian period regardless of known plant genus.

Without knowing about any associated plants found at the same location, it is not likely one can narrow this particular specimen down to a species of Lepidodendron or Sigillaria, etc.

Did they provide any information as to where in India it was found? I guess my presumption was that it is from the Carboniferous age (Mississippian-Pennsylvanian). If the seller could provide a name of a town nearby that would help with establishing if the correct time periods would apply.

Perhaps you could provide a slightly more focused photo of the 2nd photo to show more detail? It sort of appears there is a plant impression there?

• I found this Informative 3

If you are interested here is a snapshot of a page from an older bit of info on India

image.png.8050ec7cc7f4601c86913abfcfed2e78.png

Indian Fossil Pteridophytes

https://books.google.com/books?id=HIIS8bUqSioC&pg=PA10&dq=fossil+lycopods+stigmaria+of+India&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHxbOo2JvhAhWsCDQIHeQXAiAQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=fossil lycopods stigmaria of India&f=false

This should keep you busy for awhile...

If the article is correct. It appears the only Lycopsid known at the time was Cyclodendron. A lot of time and research into new geographical locations is likely to have changed that information. 

• I found this Informative 2

i can rovide more photos but i bought the fossil from a fair so i cannot contact the seller unfortunately, on a side note it looks almost pyritized?

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

I think it's a stigmaria from the inside out the way my example is exposed.

Pyrite is common with plant fossils.

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

i can rovide more photos but i bought the fossil from a fair so i cannot contact the seller unfortunately, on a side note it looks almost pyritized?

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7231.JPG

No problem. It is certainly possible to be from India. A quick scan online lists many modern research papers indicating the possibility of more types of Lycopods.

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think it's a stigmaria from the inside out the way my example is exposed.

Pyrite is common with plant fossils.

A wise man once mentioned to me 'glauconite'

5c97fb2a70457_StigmariaFicoides.thumb.jpg.e80409ebf67840461edf23a86214622b.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

13 minutes ago, Kato said:

A wise man once mentioned to me 'glauconite'

That may have been some fool thinking of pleistocene mud from Maine coast's Presumpscott formation. :)

It does google out looking something like this too I see.