Help with fossil shark tooth ID please

Hugo Tran

Hello everyone. This is my first post here so I hope everything is in order with the images and forum pick. I am a highly active coin collector, and started moving into fossils about a year ago. I found this tooth at Howard’s beach in tarpon springs FL. It looks to be a fossil shark tooth due to the grayish black appearance of the root and that Nice serrations are still present, but the root also looks to be busted up. Also, the root is darker in person, and colored a nice grey. It is less than 1CM long as well. Regardless, it’s one of my favorite pieces and I would love to know of the type of tooth and possibly the age. Thank you for reading. 

-HT

51F78FA2-F159-45C3-8BC6-5597BEB42E79.jpeg

E87E931B-A7B7-4CE0-93B3-B358DB2E258E.jpeg

7FEA3721-4039-471A-8048-AE514D81329B.jpeg

Edited by Hugo Tran

Awesome thank you. Can a tooth this small be a great white? And is it a fossil? Thank you for your help! 

-HT

6 minutes ago, Hugo Tran said:

Awesome thank you. Can a tooth this small be a great white? And is it a fossil? Thank you for your help! 

-HT

All animals started as small babies. Also shark teeth vary in size dependent on their position in the mouth.

Does look like a fossilized tooth, but who knows for sure.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you! I’ll label it as a fossilized lower great white. Appreciate the help! 

-CH27

Thanks Darktooth! I’m happy to finally know what kind of tooth I have. Great white was my initial thought when I found it but I thought the size would matter more.

-HT

Take a look through some of the pics that have been posted over the years and you may be surprised.  Everyone likes to dream about finding a 6+ inch Megalodon tooth, but I've seen some posted here that are smaller than your fingernail and have found a couple that weren't much bigger.  

Thanks RandyB! I’m just happy to have found a fossil great white tooth of any size. A 6+ inch meg would be nice though.  :D

-HT