Fish Teeth

Frank Menser

post-1313-12546832165189_thumb.jpg

These are teeth I found in E NC. I know the one to the right (above) is a sawfish 'tooth' the others I am not certain of. They measure a little over an inch for the largest.

post-1313-12546832165189_thumb.jpg

These two measure about 3/4" and are blade like in crossection. Any guesses?

post-1313-12546831861339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

Frank, are these Cretaceous? If so, those blade-like ones might be Protosphyreana. Not sure about the others.

top pic: left - enchodus tooth with a little bit of jaw attached, middle is the same ischyriza as the beauty on the right but its damaged

bottom: pretty sure the one on the right is another enchodus tooth. not so sure about the left it could be a few things, xiphactinus, enchodus or even protosphyraena perhaps.

im sure youre tired of hearing enchodus for all your cretacous IDs but trust the NJ folks, we see TOO MANY of these! :) theres a few different shapes of teeth and jaw sections in this nasty fish

Edited by toothpuller

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

These from Cretaeous strata, though with a possible "bleed" from more recent material due to heavy equipment disruption.

Lots and Lots of Enchodus here (lol) just wish I was better at IDing skull frags that would help with reconstruction!

post-1313-12546989516469_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

yeah a big problem is that everything is most likely from different fish. pieces are reworked, worn down, broken, etc. so any reconstruction will be tough. if it were from a kansas chalk deposit you might have a better chance at getting anything associated

These from Cretaeous strata, though with a possible "bleed" from more recent material due to heavy equipment disruption.

Lots and Lots of Enchodus here (lol) just wish I was better at IDing skull frags that would help with reconstruction!

post-1313-12546989516469_thumb.jpg

The 2 on the right in the first photo are Ischyrhiza mira, which a sclerorhynchid sawfish. Sclerorhynchids are long-extinct and are not closely related to modern sawfishes. These specimens are more correctly referred to as rotral denticles rather than teeth.

"Rostral tooth" has been the phrasing used in several recent scholarly publications, so it also seems to be acceptable usage.