Large unknown from Florida

RandyB

Found a large chunk of bone while fossil hunting in Florida earlier this month.  Found in a tributary to the Peace River near Arcadia.  Not sure there is enough left to get a useful identification, but figured I would post and see how it goes.  The chunk is roughly 5 x 4 x 2.5 inches, the grid underneath is quarter inch squares.

20190323_094015.thumb.jpg.7516bcbc64a339733eb7f78b4a281145.jpg

Yep, it's a "Chunk-O-Bone" Alright!

From something big. That's probably about as far as you can go with the ID.

• I found this Informative 2

Yup. Looks like Florida's answer to the west's chunk-o-saurus. Don't think there is enough distinctive features on this one to say more about a possible ID other than it was from a larger animal.

Cheers.

-Ken

I agree with the previous IDs, it must have been a really big animal.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Well, I can narrow it down a wee bit. There were only so many mammals in Florida that were REALLY large enough to justify the size of this bone.. Whale verts, humerus, etc would be big enough but this is not whale..

The odds are high that this is a bone from either Mammoth or Mastodon,  Giant Sloth might be a distant 3rd option.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"