Show us your Pterosaurs material

Bobby Rico

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Since Ive posted that tooth I have more questions than answers.

Not much is published and the only suggested Pterosaur from there Rhamphorhynchus sp but those teeth are not S shaped like yours and mine.  So I don't know, they can be fish but again nothing is published other than Gar being present.

Thanks for the information.

It's difficult indeed :headscratch:. I always thought the tooth was pterosaur.

8 minutes ago, Vieira said:

Thanks for the information.

It's difficult indeed :headscratch:. I always thought the tooth was pterosaur.

Can you take it to the museum in Lourinhã? 

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
On 8.6.2019 at 11:09 PM, belemniten said:

Some pretty cool stuff @KansasFossilHunter!

I was able to find some pteroaur stuff too in the last weeks. 

Firstly a worn 6 cm long flight phalanx:

1.thumb.JPG.ab3dccd3aa7eda77565d132cba71da2a.jpeg.5df6058551c4102ec4be8fa8ada14dca.jpeg

Another phalanx I guess with a length of 11 cm:

flugsaursaurierknochen.thumb.JPG.21502693950ed88ada5c4c2ffa3ab317.jpeg.fcd5ab3e168fda6b0754f345ad162ab4.jpeg

And my best find:

Flugsaurierknochen1.thumb.JPG.911653c9705c669fbb36926b09a230e9.jpeg.d7c85bfb26b2b4d511dee3b443e5081e.jpeg

A humerus and some other pteroaaur bones!

Flugsaurierknochen2.thumb.JPG.739c15f9dcb5270d619e27aeeec03d40.thumb.jpeg.e64010496f35bab3f39910b88f456351.jpeg

Flugsaurierknochen3.thumb.JPG.e2b7607cd3df057e097fc4b560ac6355.jpeg.07e3fd39a82f0f04d11c759020202c61.jpeg

Flugsaurierknochen4.thumb.JPG.05724be5e24424563c3b5655b5ec5a5a.jpeg.1147b0a1a01ec6d887a46e81abaadf5d.jpeg

All finds are from the lower Jurassic from Holzmaden (Germany)

That second Fossil is defenitely a Humerus and a Metacarpal. The Humerus has an enlarged Deltapectoral crest only found in Nyctosaurids and Rhamphorhynchids. Due to Nyctosaurs being Late Cretaceous it obviously isnt one. Considering that Dorygnathus is the only Rhamphorhynchid from Holzmaden, it likely is to be one. The Phalanx also seems to be a Rhamphorhynchid but it's hard to tell.

On 25.3.2019 at 1:32 PM, caterpillar said:

Pterosaurs tracks (hands and feet) from southwest France

Pteraichnus sp 2.jpg

Pteraichnus sp 5.jpg

Pteraichnus sp.jpg

What age are these? They look similar to the Pteraichnus Tracks from Wierzbica in Poland which are Ctenochasmatid in origin.

IMG_20190703_174650-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Sassy PaleoNerd said:

That second Fossil is defenitely a Humerus and a Metacarpal. The Humerus has an enlarged Deltapectoral crest only found in Nyctosaurids and Rhamphorhynchids. Due to Nyctosaurs being Late Cretaceous it obviously isnt one. Considering that Dorygnathus is the only Rhamphorhynchid from Holzmaden, it likely is to be one. The Phalanx also seems to be a Rhamphorhynchid but it's hard to tell.

Thank you very much for the ID help! 

• I found this Informative 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

i saw this thread pop up today and thought I would contribute. A partial Pterosaur bone from Smoky Hill Chalk. Would have been a good sized animal I believe. We label this as a Pteranodon for our programs though officially it would be Pterosaur indet. Either way, it is bone I am happy to have and one the kids will dig.

Pteranodon wing bone (4 of 5).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

13 hours ago, Sassy PaleoNerd said:

What age are these? They look similar to the Pteraichnus Tracks from Wierzbica in Poland which are Ctenochasmatid in origin.

IMG_20190703_174650-1.jpg

French tracks are from lower tithonian level

1 hour ago, caterpillar said:

French tracks are from lower tithonian level

That identification might fit then. I'd just broaden it a little to ctenochasmatoid. We know what the Wierzbica Tracks are due to associatted coprolites with contents that show filter feeding ;)

6 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

i saw this thread pop up today and thought I would contribute. A partial Pterosaur bone from Smoky Hill Chalk. Would have been a good sized animal I believe. We label this as a Pteranodon for our programs though officially it would be Pterosaur indet. Either way, it is bone I am happy to have and one the kids will dig.

Pteranodon wing bone (4 of 5).jpg

I think you can restrict this to Pteranodonta indet. there are no other Pterosaur from that Locality besides Pteranodon and Nyctosaurus

Edited by Sassy PaleoNerd

2 hours ago, Sassy PaleoNerd said:

I think you can restrict this to Pteranodonta indet. there are no other Pterosaur from that Locality besides Pteranodon and Nyctosaurus

Cool. Thanks for the information 

• 6 months later...

Thought i would update this thread after a while with a Pterosaur humerus bone i have. It is from the Phosphate mines in Morocco, dated about 67mya, 13.5cm long and is from the small Nyctosaurid Alcione Elanius.

5e7da128a1fcb_20200327_173508(2).thumb.jpg.6d912dea418959315d11977ae784f532.jpg5e7da13ae2d3e_20200327_173519(2).thumb.jpg.101fca389effc3b5e0a6e8e84aed8bf3.jpg

Reference image of an Alcione humerus that i compared the fossil to for identification.

800px-Alcione_right_humerus.PNG

5 minutes ago, msantix said:

Pterosaur humerus bone

Very cool piece indeed. I bet it displays very nicely too. Thanks for remembering my thread. Bobby 

23 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Very cool piece indeed. I bet it displays very nicely too. Thanks for remembering my thread. Bobby 

Yeah i have it displayed next to my Pteranodon humerus so it sort of cool to have this fossil. I love this thread because it is a great chance for people on the forum to show any Pterosaur fossils they might have, and there have been some amazing fossils shown already!.

On 27.3.2020 at 7:51 AM, msantix said:

Thought i would update this thread after a while with a Pterosaur humerus bone i have. It is from the Phosphate mines in Morocco, dated about 67mya, 13.5cm long and is from the small Nyctosaurid Alcione Elanius.

5e7da128a1fcb_20200327_173508(2).thumb.jpg.6d912dea418959315d11977ae784f532.jpg5e7da13ae2d3e_20200327_173519(2).thumb.jpg.101fca389effc3b5e0a6e8e84aed8bf3.jpg

Reference image of an Alcione humerus that i compared the fossil to for identification.

800px-Alcione_right_humerus.PNG

To me it looks more like a humerus from Barbaridactylus grandis.

12 hours ago, Sassy PaleoNerd said:

To me it looks more like a humerus from Barbaridactylus grandis.

Interesting, can i ask what leads you to believe that? is it due to the humerus head being more rounded? 

The image i found of a humerus attributed to Barbaridactylus Grandis (link below) does indeed look similar.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2001663 (Longrich NR, Martill DM, Andres B. 2018)

journal.pbio.2001663.g012

When you post an image found on the web, you must indicate the source (either by quoting the site, or by putting a link) to pay tribute to the work of the one who made it ;)

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

20170609_203725.thumb.jpg.a1c1a27f903ec7ab9d542a4e24642d8e.jpg

Donated these to a University for study about two years ago. Two different species of pterosaur humeri found in close proximity to eachother in Texas. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

10 hours ago, msantix said:

Interesting, can i ask what leads you to believe that? is it due to the humerus head being more rounded? 

The image i found of a humerus attributed to Barbaridactylus Grandis (link below) does indeed look similar.

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2001663 (Longrich NR, Martill DM, Andres B. 2018)

journal.pbio.2001663.g012

More so how the "stem" of the deltapectoral crest has no curve, and looks rather rectangular, unlike how it looks in Alcione.

• 8 months later...

I'm going through a pterosaur spell at the moment, so figured I'd give this thread a bump with four of my own recent ones.

1 - A Russian pterosaur from Kursk, Russia

2 - A Rhamphorhynchus tooth from Germany

3 - A Triassic pterosaur tooth from Aust Cliffs in the UK

4 - A small pterosaur bone in two pieces from Hastings Beds, UK. I'm not going to repair it--I find it quite interesting in two bits as it shows the hollowness inside, which is quite cool.

5.jpg

2.jpg

PT 076b.jpg

pterosaur bone.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

On 18/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, FF7_Yuffie said:

I'm going through a pterosaur spell at the moment, so figured I'd give this thread a bump with four of my own recent ones.

3 - A Triassic pterosaur tooth from Aust Cliffs in the UK

PT 076b.jpg

Lovely examples. Do you know what deposit this tooth is from at Aust? I know Dimorphodon is known from the Overlying Jurassic Blue Lias but I haven't heard of any Triassic Rhaetian pterosaur material from there. If it is that's a really cool find. 

1 hour ago, BentonlWalters said:

Lovely examples. Do you know what deposit this tooth is from at Aust? I know Dimorphodon is known from the Overlying Jurassic Blue Lias but I haven't heard of any Triassic Rhaetian pterosaur material from there. If it is that's a really cool find. 

Thanks

It's from the Rhaetian beds there. The seller has only ever found two of these pterosaur teeth and doesn't know of anyone else finding any. I messaged the Natural History Museum to find out a bit, apparently just fragmentary remains of pterosaurs have been found in the Triassic bone bed with no specific species.

8 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

Here’s my input:

an ultra rare Pterosaur tooth from the Isle of Wight 

A4609FD4-92AC-412E-BD55-F6830B7A6112.png

What species is that from? I have one IoW pterosaur tooth, but it is about half the size.

Unusual one--- havent seen any that size from there. Very cool.