CH Fossils

this year's first hunt was not entirely successful. There is still a meter of snow in some places. Found some small fossils that I don't think are possible to identify. I may show pictures of them, but saw several large orthoceras and some trilobites in a mountain wall where the snow was melted (exposed to the sun). May have to wait a few weeks, after Easter before i can go fossilhunting. The area where i took these pictures is called fossildalen/fossilvalley in slemmestad. The fossils here in the area stem from the time periods of Cambrian, Ordovician and Silur, a period of 541 million to 419 million years ago. At that time, Slemmestad was a seabed in a relatively shallow sea. The Orthoceras fossils i took pictures of is about 420 million years old.

56229199_2257396827858200_4442875000327766016_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice Orthoceras fossils and interesting old Norwegian history. I have ancestors from Norway and Sweden. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

51 minutes ago, CH Fossils said:

fossildalen

Does this imply that the area is protected / a natural monument / collecting forbidden? 

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

13 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Does this imply that the area is protected / a natural monument / collecting forbidden? 

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

No, you can collect trilobites and other fossils in that area, but the place where i took those pictures is from a mountain wall. That mountain wall is protected so you cant chop with hammer and chisel to collect them.

And thats for the best. In this way, more people and especially young people get to see them. This increases the interest in fossils, which of course is a good thing. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, CH Fossils said:

No, you can collect trilobites and other fossils in that area, but the place where i took those pictures is from a mountain wall. That mountain wall is protected so you cant chop with hammer and chisel to collect them.

Thanks!
Indeed, very wise decision of the authorities to have both - collecting opportunities and protected areas!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Great orthoconic nautiloids!  I especially like the first picture where you can see the siphuncle :wub:

• I found this Informative 1