Rudist? And a Couple of Other Texas Cretaceous Unknowns

JamieLynn

Hello! Found a few things I cannot identify and would appreciate some help! I have done as extensive a search as I can and I am pretty sure the first specimen is a rudist. I think! Anyone care to confirm? The striations on the bottom "curve" intrigue me. The second piece is....I don't know what. Rudist again?  The next piece might be an oyster?  All were found in Hays County TX- Cretaceous, not sure of Formation. Thank you for your help! Also including in the next post my fabulous find of a tiny hippo head. Pretty sure it is an amazingly preserved head of a tiny hippo. HAAHHAH!!! Actually, and please let me know if ya'll concur, I think it is a very very worn echinoid. You can see a little bit of the shell (is that called test?) on it. 

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0218.JPG

DSCN0221.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG

The first one looks like a rudist, close to a caprinid.

Can we see a picture taken straight to the surface of the transverse section of the wider end?

The last picture may show the tendency of forming beekite rings on the surface of that specimen.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

The last picture may show the tendency of forming beekite rings on the surface of that specimen.

For information and pictures of beekite rings go see:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/77313-trilobites-with-beekite-rings/&tab=comments#comment-816037

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/77313-trilobites-with-beekite-rings/&tab=comments#comment-815788

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 1

And no, the second item does not have cellular structure. Here are a few more pics, you can see the strong striations on the backside. It may be geologic. I'd love to know! 

DSCN0219.JPG

DSCN0220.JPG

DSCN0222.JPG

21 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

And no, the second item does not have cellular structure. Here are a few more pics, you can see the strong striations on the backside. It may be geologic. I'd love to know! 

DSCN0219.JPG

DSCN0220.JPG

DSCN0222.JPG

This (if pictures of the same piece) is part of an Inoceramid oyster hinge. See pictures from a TFF post. Note parallel prisms of calcite that are normal to the shell surface.

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you for the pictures.
I'm not sure I see the necessary details, but there might be something which may look like a caprinid rudist in transverse section. A polished transverse section may be better for a more precise ID, but I know the difficulties associated with that.
I'll remain in the rudist possibility, until it will be stated otherwise.

5c9aa5e195a05_Scott2002JP76_408-423Caprinids.thumb.jpg.4f6813661667d91a8046ab500b83a33e.jpg

I'm pretty sure Don is right with the ID on the second specimen.

DSCN0222.JPG.8cedd7a5a2e7849a29c92413441c426e.thumb.JPG.caeaf15d5f537f3f10a2f0ad2f128664.JPGpala_891Final.thumb.jpg.304264fb4991599155de6bc4ee420b02.jpg

For Beekite rigs, you can check this topic, also.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library