Real Or Fake Megalodon Tooth?

Zenmaster6

Hi everyone, I just purchased this megalodon from the fossil store I work at (they are very kind trustworthy people).

It looks pretty real to me and microscope pictures look real too (I can include if needed)

I wasn't skeptical until I saw how uniform the broken basal looked. I heard fakes are usually perfect but maybe this fake is broken so people would assume it wasn't a fake?

Anyways, everything looks pretty nice and real and there is even a slightly visible white spot under the black on the front of the tooth (where maybe the real enamel underneath is showing.)

Please, any feedback would be great. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I would agree that it is real.

IMO a tooth of that quality would not be worth faking with the intention of deception.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I would agree that it is real.

IMO a tooth of that quality would not be worth faking with the intention of deception.

That is what I would imagine. Thank you for your time Macrophyseter

I would also like to say that you can definitely find teeth that are not broken and in that size range or larger for less. Our favorite auction site has some great examples and they aren't all worn river finds. (or commercial grade) teeth.

This one has a nice dark color which is appealing.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

All, please keep in mind that price and the trustworthiness of any dealer is not the purpose of this forum.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ