My son is wanting a Spinosaurus tooth

rodneyp

My 8 year old son has been saving his allowance for some time so he can get a nice Spinosaurus tooth. He will have about 350.00-400.00 saved up soon. I have read several things on repairs and fakes, but still do not have great confidence in what I am looking at. I have found a few sites that appear to be reputable, but I am concerned about spending this much money on a tooth still. I am wanting him to make a good investment and it sounds like Spinosaurus teeth are not all that rare but over 4" seems to be a more unusual tooth.

In the 350.00-400.00 range what size tooth should we expect to get?

Is there another fossil that would be a better purchase for him in this price range?

He already has a 5" and 3.5" Megalodon tooth he bought by saving his money.       

Sounds like a really good budget, i think you can get one cheaper than that though.

i’m sure i got a tooth for under $30 before. It wasn’t particularly large or special.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

For that budget, you have to expect a big, unrestored tooth without rooth. As LiamL already mentioned, they can be found much cheaper also, but will be smaller. 

There are a lot of different species you can get a tooth from in that price range. For example Carcharodontosaurids (normally sold as Carcharodontosaurus), Abelisaurids, Sauropods... from North Africa, Ceratopsians, ankylosaurs hadrosaurs from for example Hell Creek, Lance Creek... With this budget you can find multiple specimens in decent condition. Troodontids and maybe even small Tyrannosaurids might also be found in decent condition within that price range. Otherwise, trilobites are great, but if you prefer teeth I would go for dinosaurs or reptiles. You have to deceide what you like best.

That’s a lot of money. I think best thing to do is a post in the “is it real “ section of the forum and ask for advice on the tooth he likes. Remember the forum does not do valuations on fossils money wise.

• I found this Informative 1

With Spinosaur teeth from Morocco I think it's more about patience than about a fixed price. There are so many on the market that if you're lucky and keep an eye peeled you can probably get really good deals. The prices are all over the place. From 5 bucks to hundreds.

A few general tips to keep in mind when shopping for Spinosaur teeth.

- Beware of rooted teeth, these are more often composites. Loose tooth crowns are generally safer.

- If you want to be on the safe side, avoid teeth with lots of matrix and junk on them. Composites often have excess glue and sediment on them to hide the cracks. Cleaner teeth will be easier to identify as real.

- Spinosaur teeth from the Kem Kem beds cannot be identified to genus level right now. There are at least two present there. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and Spinosaurus aegyptiacus.

- If you're unsure you can always post pictures here on the forum where many will be happy to help.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Here are the two I am looking at the first one is 3.7" and the other is 4" 

Where are some good places to buy from? I have found smaller ones for a lot less, but with him saving up for so long I really want to make sure he gets something really good. 

3.7spino.JPG

4.0spino.JPG

12 minutes ago, rodneyp said:

Here are the two I am looking at the first one is 3.7" and the other is 4" 

Where are some good places to buy from? I have found smaller ones for a lot less, but with him saving up for so long I really want to make sure he gets something really good. 

3.7spino.JPG

4.0spino.JPG

Those are nice and big but quite poor quality. You can definitely find better and cheaper online :) 

Agree, for that price you can find a much much better Spinosaurus tooth. You can even find a really nice/perfect 2" tyrannosaur in that range (Nannotyrannus from Hell Creek or a Judith river tyrannosaur), a good 1-1.5" Allosaurus or a big Carcharodontosaurus.

The Tooth Fairy

7 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

With Spinosaur teeth from Morocco I think it's more about patience than about a fixed price. There are so many on the market that if you're lucky and keep an eye peeled you can probably get really good deals. The prices are all over the place. From 5 bucks to hundreds.

A few general tips to keep in mind when shopping for Spinosaur teeth.

- Beware of rooted teeth, these are more often composites. Loose tooth crowns are generally safer.

- If you want to be on the safe side, avoid teeth with lots of matrix and junk on them. Composites often have excess glue and sediment on them to hide the cracks. Cleaner teeth will be easier to identify as real.

- Spinosaur teeth from the Kem Kem beds cannot be identified to genus level right now. There are at least two present there. Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis and Spinosaurus aegyptiacus.

- If you're unsure you can always post pictures here on the forum where many will be happy to help.

I think this is wise advice which needs to be framed.

Its about hunting around online and really finding the good deals. Not the prices

Price is all about quality and size.  I'll send you a  PM of a supplier at the high end of the spectrum so you can compare against.