Burmite amber

JulianoLPD

Hi there folks,

I'm with some doubts regarding amber again.

I've recently bought a set of burmese amber from a seller from China on that auction web site. I feel I paid very little for the set with 20 pieces and random inclusions (really random, there are about five of them that are really bad, but also one piece really good).

Can you guys tell me what's an accetable price for a set like that?  (I don't know if this kind of thread is allowed here, if not. Please, let me know and I'll delete it)

If anyone could PM me I'd like some info on the seller.

I'm attaching some pictures of the kind of pieces I got, so you can have an idea if it's real or not.

Thanks in advance,

Juliano

f5-1.jpg

I can guarantee you they are 100% real. There is a lot of Chinese dealers online. Most of them are miners. I have bought several pieces of amber from online. They often have small inclusions, that under my microscope look like pollen, and plant fragments. I doubt people would go through the struggle to place that inside resin. 

Shine a UV light on the piece(s) of amber. If it shines a greenish color it is most likely real. 

Amber floats in saltwater

amber should feel very light, and shouldn’t be colder (or hotter) than room temperature. 

If if you burn a piece of amber, it will smell like pine resin, (don’t try it on a good specimen). Some people even say that simply with the sun’s heat on a hot summer day will do the job.

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Well, I guess it's real then. They really seemed real to me. I was just concerned about the price... 

I thought it was way too cheap...

But thanks for the info. Very helpful. I'll try the UV light.

REgards

I paid a very small price, for this early bee inclusion from a miner in China. Sometimes the sellers are mining the specimens themselves, and are wanting to make money quickly so they sell at a low price. 

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, MarielleK said:

I paid a very small price, for this early bee inclusion from a miner in China. Sometimes the sellers are mining the specimens themselves, and are wanting to make money quickly so they sell at a low price. 

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

Yeah, They live in Myanmar(Burma) and travel to China to ship their items. They are cheap, but very real!

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier