Fossil bone (rib?) - need help identifying

Kroy

Hi.

I wanted help identifying a large bone fossil found in Florida. I believe it to be a rib bone; and one person indicated either Whale, Mastodon, or Mammoth.

My son and I found it on the Peace River by the edge of the water in between about Brownville and Arcadia (closer to Arcadia). One photo shows an additional section; and with that section is about 19". It is broken on each end so would be much bigger. Color is closer to the image with the shark teeth; the other photos were taken during sunset so appear redder in color than it should be.

I can provide other pictures.

Please advise if you have insight on how to narrow what this is.

Thank you
Ken

IMG_2028[2].JPG

IMG_2029[1].JPG

IMG_2045[1].JPG

IMG_2034[1].JPG

Certainly looks like a rib to me--and one from one of the larger species to be found in the Peace River. The fact that it is not roundish and completely solid to the core excludes dugong/manatee. I wouldn't know how to distinguish whale, sloth, bison, or horse (the large mammals that quickly come to mind). Although there seem to be few diagnostic features on this rib, possibly there is something from the size that might lead @Harry Pristis to venture a guess as to the identity of its former owner.

Great find--larger than any rib section I've ever pulled from the Peace.

Cheers.

-Ken

If I was to place a bet, a large Bison like latifrons. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png