Fossil Tooth from Peace River Florida - Need help identifying

Kroy

Hi.

I wanted help identifying a fossil tooth found in Florida. My son and I found it on the Peace River North of Wachula. We were sifting gravel from the middle of the river last week.

I thought it to be alligator, but someone noted the ridge was distinctive enough that they didn't believe the tooth to be as such. It is slightly larger than an inch long.

I can provide other pictures.

Thank you
Ken

IMG_2051[1].JPG

IMG_2063[1].JPG

IMG_2064[1].JPG

IMG_2065[1].JPG

Whale/dolphin/porpoise tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Glad to see you got out to the Peace River. Probably heading out there Friday to check water levels. A friend has a group of preteen/teens headed to Arcadia for a camping/canoeing trip where the hope to include some fossil hunting. I need to scout the river to see if any of the gravel beds I know about are accessible to allow some digging/sifting.

I think @Boesse could give an authoritative pronouncement on that great find. I agree it does look like one of the few kentriodontid whale teeth that I've pulled from the river but one that I thought was cetacean turned out to be an incisor from a bear so I'm still not the best at distinguishing these teeth. @Shellseeker has found a number of teeth similar to this any may be able to chime in on this before Bobby sees this message.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Gator teeth tend to have hollow conical roots and have two ridges (carinae) that look like the seams from a two-part mold.

Thanks, Harry! Seems a pretty good match.

Would be a trip-maker find for me. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken