Drotops Megalomanicus and Hollardops Mesocristata

MarielleK

Hello all. I am viewing a few trilobite fossils for sale (names in the thread title) and wanted you guys to have a look over. If all looks well, what would you pay for these? They are sourced from Morocco. For the double trilobite fossil, would these specimens be found together naturally? Or is it possibly a composite. 

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_6897.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6899.JPG

IMG_6900.JPG

We don't give valuations here. Also, there is no Hollardops or Drotops in here, the second one is what's labelled Cornuproetus sp. in my collection. The other one is Morocops sp.

Both are badly prepped. These species are common so my advice: wait for a beter example.

Edited by gigantoraptor
typo
  • I found this Informative 3

7 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

We don't give valuations here. Also, there is no Hollardops or Drotops in here, the second one is what's labelled Cornuproetus sp. in my collection. The other one is Morocops sp.

Both are badly prepped. These species are common so my advice: wait for a beter example.

I totally agree with what this. A positive thing : they don't look to be false or carved.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I took all of your advice and passed on both of those specimens. This is the fossil I ended up purchasing. Labeled as a Coltraenia oufatenensis. Thank you all! 

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you. I thought it was much better than the other two. And I got it for the same price. I'm excited to see the preservation on the eyes in person. I'd also really like to expand my knowledge on trilobites as I think they were very interesting animals. 

Welcome to the forum! You got a nice bug in the end, although that Morocops (Barrandeops) sp. doesn't look so badly preped imho.

I think it's worth noting, quick prep work on all these common species makes them very affordable, but even when we say "quick prep" or "badly preped" that doesn't accurately describe all the effort and time involved. There is about the same, if not even a lot more effort, skill and time invested in a badly preped Moroccan Coltranea or Moroccops as in a good to average commercialy preped common Phacopsid found in shale matrix, as in example in Ohio or NY, USA. What I'm trying to point out - yes, there is a huge difference between a quick commercial work and a careful prep, but a lot of effort in every trilobite found and preped, quick commercial or not. And even a quick commercial prep work wouldn't pay the costs, if it wasn't done for almost free in Morocco! I hope you got a good price. But it wouldn't cover many hours of digging and splitting rocks to find it in the first place and then easily 5-10 hours to prep the Coltraneia or Morocops "quick" like that (not easy to do it fast and about as good). Besides, in case you didn't get it from a Moroccan reseller, you were paying for minimum 2 retail margins already on the original price... Can't post financial advices (forum policy), but kind of an answer to what you would pay for these question. 

• I found this Informative 2

Nice bug !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg