Theropod indet. tooth ID Lourinhã Formation

JoeS

Hi all, I have a tricky tooth ID question. For now it is labeled as Theropod indet. and I guess this is as far as it gets, but I just want to check if someone else gets a Dromaeosaurid vibe =)

It was found in the Lourinhã Formation. Crown height is 6mm. Denticles per 1mm are 9 mesial and 7 distal. Mesial denticles are also much shorter, and the mesial carina ends at about half way from the anterior of the tooth (maybe 2/3 considering the tip is missing). Distal denticles are slightly hooked towards the anterior. I went through quite some papers from similar aged formations in Portugal/Spain and Morrison formation but without any real luck: Zinke 1998 describes possible Dromaeosaurid teeth that might fit the bill regarding denticle density and roughly TCH/FABL/BW when scaled to this tooth (6.09mm/3.61mm/1.95mm).
Any help is highly appreciated!

DSC10026.JPG

DSC10035.JPG

DSC10053.JPG

DSC10060.JPG

I don't feel this is dromaeosaurid tooth but I could be wrong as I am unfamiliar with the fauna in hand but at first look it seems like the serration shape is more suited to a ceratosaur. I'm sure troodon will have a better idea than me however just trying to give some input.

thanks, I appreciate it. Ceratosaur are indeed present in this formation - I did not consider them so far due to the high density of denticles present on the tooth in question - but I'll look into it, maybe teeth of juveniles are described.

23 hours ago, Troodon said:

Can you provide the width of the tooth at the base, midline thanks

Hi, the width of the tooth is 1.79 mm (midline, base as requested). hope this helps

Thanks but I do need one more figure,! the length at the base.   Thought I had that number from above.  Trying to understand the CBR to see if that gives me any clues to the ID of the tooth.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks but I do need one more figure,! the length at the base.   Thought I had that number from above.  Trying to understand the CBR to see if that gives me any clues to the ID of the tooth.

CBL is 3.6mm - thank you very much for looking into this!

Interesting tooth and isolated teeth like this one should be described as indeterminate because there is no slam dunk diagnostic  feature to assign it to a specific family.  In addition I believe this is juvenile given the very high serration count which make it more difficult when trying to compare it to larger teeth that are published.  I have no idea if the DSDI Denticle size density index changes with age.   But for fun I used the CRB, CHR and Density index to see what it would show and the closest morphtypes I can see are Megalosauroidea.  The denticle profile works.   I dont believe its Dromaeosaurid.

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Interesting tooth and isolated teeth like this one should be described as indeterminate because there is no slam dunk diagnostic  feature to assign it to a specific family.  In addition I believe this is juvenile given the very high serration count which make it more difficult when trying to compare it to larger teeth that are published.  I have no idea if the DSDI Denticle size density index changes with age.   But for fun I used the CRB, CHR and Density index to see what it would show and the closest morphtypes I can see are Megalosauroidea.  The denticle profile works.   I dont believe its Dromaeosaurid.

very insightful analysis, thank you so much for all your time invested. I'll follow up and maybe someday a new paper will shine more light onto it.
So far I did not venture into the world of dentition based datamatrices and morphometric analysis like this - I guess it is time ;)  thanks again!

• I found this Informative 1