Dinosaur-killing Asteroid Mark on North Dakota

Troodon

I am always wary of sensational press releases about dinosaurs (and more).  I tried to read this last night but I failed.  I was sick and promptly fell asleep.  Gonna try again this evening.  

The story of the moment the Dinosaurs died being frozen in stone is too juicy for the mainstream press to publish cautiously.

Lots of evidence to work and rework before a sober theory can emerge.
It is undeniably a wonderful site, full of questions. Answers will come slowly. Look how long it took for The Alvarez hypothesis to gain general acceptance!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Brandon Peecook reported that the FieldMuseum has a block of the now infamous Tanis site, with this paddlefish and sturgeon from the end Cretaceous.

D3ZT0azW0AE--bU.thumb.jpeg.fd1b919467c6b22ee9fbda7cebb726de.jpeg

D3ZT0a1WwAA6I2L.thumb.jpeg.99f58d6781be699171db9b4766519b2b.jpeg

For details on this particular block from the 'Tanis' site, how it was found, and how it came to the Field Museum, see this this link:

https://t.co/9xXiXJXfAp?amp=1

• I found this Informative 2

27 minutes ago, Troodon said:

For details on this particular block from the 'Tanis' site, how it was found, and how it came to the Field Museum, see this this link:

https://t.co/9xXiXJXfAp?amp=1

It sounds like a group called the Paleo Prospectors found the Tanis site and had an agreement with DePalma to receive credit as the finders which may not have been given.

Quote from Paleo Prospectors’ Facebook link above:

BBA277A3-7A03-4165-8E72-9533EFC8445E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

11 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It sounds like a group called the Paleo Prospectors found the Tanis site and had an agreement with DePalma to receive credit as the finders which may not have been given.

The plot thickens need to see what DePalma says about this

28 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The plot thickens need to see what DePalma says about this

In DePalma’s paper he gives thanks to Steve Nicklas, Rob Sula (of Paleo Prospectors) and Ron Frithiof for technical assistance and/or critique. DePalma does not mention them as site finders. I would feel slighted too if I were not given some discovery credit.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have been trying to dig up the 2012 publication by Lance Grande with no luck. Anyone find it?

10 hours ago, Darren Garrison said:

I have been trying to dig up the 2012 publication by Lance Grande with no luck. Anyone find it?

I also tried to find it without any luck.

55 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I also tried to find it without any luck.

11 hours ago, Darren Garrison said:

No 2012 publication is mentioned in his CV from the Field Museum

newest_grande_cv_february_2017.doc

1 hour ago, Jdeutsch said:

perhaps you all are aware of this article, perhaps not

I found it of interest

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/03/29/66-million-year-old-deathbed-linked-to-dinosaur-killing-meteor/

Topics merged. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

On 4/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

BBA277A3-7A03-4165-8E72-9533EFC8445E.jpeg

I wouldn’t be surprised if no credit was given. Seems to happen a bit. The paleos want it to be THERES despite that they didn’t find it and act like they did. Poor form if this is the case..

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

ARTICLE : Who Owns The Dinosaurs? It All Depends On Where You Find Them.  Not a big T. Carr fan who is very anti collector to say the least.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-owns-the-dinosaurs-it-all-depends-on-where-you-find-them/

@jpc hope you've seen this article since you are quoted in it.

When I stop and think about it, it's almost shocking how private property rights are often negatively characterized in published media...in the U.S.A.  After reading it, I am left with the residue of 'private = bad, public = good'.  Articles, like this, that confound the unrelated laws applying to private and federal land only serve to weaken the precious significance of our right to own anything.  

That right means I get to possess fossils I legally find.  They do not belong to everyone.  "Everyone" did not invest the time, energy, and resources to find them...I did...and that is a beautiful freedom.  

Kudos to those in Paleontology that respect and appreciate the right to personal property.  I suspect they are still a majority.  Personal property doesn't guarantee all fossils (or anything else) end up in "the public trust"; and it is compromised if some 'muddy' law is written to make exceptions for the 'really cool fossils' found on Private property.

Based on what I've observed over the years on this Forum, the science of Paleontology thrives when scientific education and Private collectors merge in a respectful environment.  After all, it is resources derived from personal property that underwrites the research and knowledge we value.

• I found this Informative 9

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If the government believes that certain fossils are important and should be in the public domain then the government should fund their purchase. It is just a matter of spending priorities. What would be more interesting and worthwhile to own: a block long section of border fence or a T. Rex skeleton?

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

If the government believes that certain fossils are important and should be in the public domain then the government should fund their purchase. It is just a matter of spending priorities. What would be more interesting and worthwhile to own: a block long section of border fence or a T. Rex skeleton?

This is exactly what Denmark does.  I think it is a great idea.  I think the feds should organize some sort of permitting for fossil collecting, but I have also been told "good luck" in trying to change the fed's view of fossils.  It'd be more gov't paperwork, but we would all be better for it. 

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

I think the feds should organize some sort of permitting for fossil collecting, but I have also been told "good luck" in trying to change the fed's view of fossils.  

What kind of permitting: on private lands? The Federal Government already gives permits for professional paleontologist to collect fossils on federal land.

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

What kind of permitting: on private lands? The Federal Government already gives permits for professional paleontologist to collect fossils on federal land.

Yup... I meant permitting for personal collecting.    

:Confused:

To clarify, @jpc, do you mean permitting to collect vertebrates for personal collections on federal lands?  Obviously, there is no need for a government permit to collect on private property.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Great idea probably would inflate prices but thats okay.   In the end we are really not talking about a lot of money for the Feds

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

:Confused:

To clarify, @jpc, do you mean permitting to collect vertebrates for personal collections on federal lands?  Obviously, there is no need for a government permit to collect on private property.

Yeah, this is what I would like to see, but I am not holding my breath.  

I would say that the 'obviously' in your second sentence is not necessarily obvious; in some countries, no fossils may be collected , even on private land.

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I would say that the 'obviously' in your second sentence is not necessarily obvious; in some countries, no fossils may be collected , even on private land.

True.  Fortunately, private property rights are still cherished and protected under U.S. law.

• I found this Informative 1