Ichthyosaur prep workshop

fossilsonwheels

In addition to my work with Fossils on Wheels, I also work for a small science museum that is part of CSU Chico and sometimes there are perks to that job. Tomorrow CSU Chico is hosting an Icthyosaur prep workshop with Dr. Greg Cole. Richard Hilton will also be there and he literally write the book on California's marine reptiles and dinosaur fossils finds. This should be a really informative and fun workshop. I know very little Icthyosaurs so this is a great opportunity to learn more about an animal that we need to learn more about. It is also a chance to learn more about fossil preparation, which is something I want to learn about, and to network with professionals. I will update this tomorrow with more information and hopefully have some pictures as well :)

53 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Very cool! Enjoy and learn lots!!!

Thank you. I will. It should be really fun.

3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

My favourite beast :) 

I have to say that I am quite a big fan myself now John. It was an awesome workshop. My only complaint is now I have to get an Icthyosaur fossils for our presentation lol They are too cool to omit.

• I found this Informative 1

The Icthyosaur fossil prep workshop was so much fun. The fossils were found in Northern California but I can not give any details on the location of course.  The prep work is being done Dr. Greg Carr and a group of volunteers including some students from CSU Chico. They were several nice sections of jaw and skull plus other teeth, limb bones, ribs, and verts. The genus is unknown at this time. Dr. Carr estimated around 5,000 hours may end up going into the prep work all total. I had never seen an Icthyosaur fossils so this was a real treat. I also got a bit of information about fossil preparation in terms of tools and how I can learn some skills myself. I also made some great connections for Fossils on Wheels including an offer to tour the Natural History Museum at the College of the Sierras from Dr. Hilton.

Pic 1- a nice section of upper and lower jaw with teeth. You can see two teeth plus a partial in the picture

Pic 2- ribs and fused vertebrae

Pic 3- Dr. Carr working a section of jaw

20190330_113656.jpg

20190330_120132.jpg

20190330_125839.jpg

• I found this Informative 4