Pliestocene Micro Fossils

kauffy

Here are some pictures of the fossils that i picked out of the washed micro stuff i bought from Harry.

They need to be ID'd so if anyone has any identifications please let me know!

post-142-1204184472_thumb.jpg

post-142-1204184491_thumb.jpg

post-142-1204184515_thumb.jpg

post-142-1204184530_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

thanks Nick,

anyone know what any of the teeth are? Harry? i have the list but i dont know how to determin between the species??

Thanks

thanks Nick,

anyone know what any of the teeth are? Harry? i have the list but i dont know how to determin between the species??

Thanks

Many of these small mammal teeth are illustrated with line-drawings in Hulbert's (Ed.) THE VERTEBRATE FOSSILS OF FLORIDA. Beyond that source, these teeth are illustrated in books on vertebrate anatomy, vertebrate evolution, and scientific papers that rely on biochronology. Have your done a web search?

You can post good close-up images here tooth-by-tooth, and someone will help you with an ID. Other forum subscribers may start to post some images of these teeth for the same purpose.

I can tell you that the tooth in the jaw (left-center in pic one) is a skunk, Spilogale putorius. The spike-like canines also are Spilogale.

If you are lucky enough to find one, the crimson-colored incisors are from a shrew.

One good source of bird bone IDs is Stanley J. Olsen's OSTEOLOGY FOR THE ARCHEOLOGIST, Vol. 56, Numbers 3, 4, and 5. Published by the Peabody Museum in 1979.

----------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hey Harry thanks a lot for all the resources and IDs,

I did find 4 little jaw segmants ( middle of the first pic, a little to the bottom right) which have tiny teeth that have bright crimson red tips! im guessing these are shrew!

I will see what I can find on google, if not I will post some close ups of each

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Ok everyone, i liked this stuff so much that i had to get another lot! heres some pics, mostly of my finds in the second lot which were just as good as the first, hit the skunk jackpot again, this time finding lots more of those small insisors, the rest, well take a look for yourselves! :....

1)Rodent teeth: second lot (not as many as the first lot but still some nice ones!)

2)Mammal vertabrae

3) all my rodent teeth, molars and insisors!

4)Skunk teeth from lot 2: the second jackpot! whoo

5) all of my skunk teeth from both lots

6) claw cores from lot 2

post-142-1206695041_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695098_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695126_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695181_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695209_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695354_thumb.jpg

1)iguanid jaws lot 2:

2) small mandibles lot 1

3) all my shrew from both lots! most were found in the second, the jaws are awesome!

4) small teeth lot 2: not as many as the first but some different species

5) Lot 2: rodent jaws, anyone know the species?

post-142-1206695477_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695503_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695570_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695608_thumb.jpg

post-142-1206695652_thumb.jpg

oh man im so sad....the little black rodent jaw got completley smashed :( i dont know how! i put it in the little tackle box both in a little bag on top and i dont know the lid mustve crushed it.....but thats the end of that litle one....those are my only rodent jaws :( i guess all i have got now is the picture! darnit!

oh man im so sad....the little black rodent jaw got completley smashed :( i dont know how! i put it in the little tackle box both in a little bag on top and i dont know the lid mustve crushed it.....but thats the end of that litle one....those are my only rodent jaws :( i guess all i have got now is the picture! darnit!

Sorry about your loss of the jaw, Chris. I keep the tiny, fragile things in individual boxes or even coin holders to keep the exposure of the specimen to a minimum. Live and learn. I'd venture a guess that no one who's been collecting for very long hasn't broken something.

A Note: "Rancholabrean" is the name of a NALMA or North American Land Mammal Age. It is NOT a formation. These NALMAs are biochrons, divisions of time based on the fauna which characterized the period.

The Pleistocene in North America is divided into two NALMAs, the Rancholabrean (named after the Late Pleistocene fauna trapped in the tar pits at La Brea, California) and the Irvingtonian (after a fauna excavated near Irvington, Nebraska, I think).

Here's how Richard Hulbert describes the NALMAs in the book, THE VERTEBRATE FOSSILS OF FLORIDA:

post-42-1206895903_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

yep live and learn i guess!

thanks a lot for that information, makes sence, im glad i hadn't gone and typed up my ID cards yet! i will be sure to change that around.

Thats seems like a good book, if i get a bit more serious in collecting vertabrete fossils from florida i will definantly get a copy.

Cheers

Chris