Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

Another update:

The next two people in line to host Sara declined to serve as hosts because they're a bit too busy to do so at the moment, so Sara's next destination is...

The Netherlands to visit with @Max-fossils!!!

I just mailed Sara off - she should arrive within 7-10 days.  Bon voyage, Sara!!!

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Did you remember to order her the vegetarian meal for the flight? ;)

I knew I forgot something!!! :DOH:

Sorry, Sara!

:P

Sara has just arrived here today! I’ve had a long day however and haven’t had time to take her out of the box... will do the unboxing tomorrow, and hopefully I’ll come up with something cool for her to do during her stay here in The Hague :) 

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Sara has just arrived here today! I’ve had a long day however and haven’t had time to take her out of the box... will do the unboxing tomorrow, and hopefully I’ll come up with something cool for her to do during her stay here in The Hague :) 

I'm so glad that Sara made it to the Netherlands safely!!!

Looking forward to seeing her visit with you, Max! :dinothumb:

I’ll do my best to be a good host and live up to her expectations (which are probably very high, seeing all the awesome time she spent so far)! :D

@Monica, your packaging was very masterful, so I’m not surprised she came here safely ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

4 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I’ll do my best to be a good host and live up to her expectations (which are probably very high, seeing all the awesome time she spent so far)! :D

@Monica, your packaging was very masterful, so I’m not surprised she came here safely ;) 

Thanks, Max, but I can't really take the credit - Sara, her journal, and her fossil companions all arrived at my place nestled in that container and bubble wrap, so someone before me had the great packing ideas :)

Oh, and @Max-fossils - I forgot to order Sara the vegetarian meal option for her flight across the Atlantic - did the airline manage to find her some veggies to eat or is she raiding your refrigerator for some right now? :P

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Oh, and @Max-fossils - I forgot to order Sara the vegetarian meal option for her flight across the Atlantic - did the airline manage to find her some veggies to eat or is she raiding your refrigerator for some right now? :P

Well she just developed a fond taste for stroopwafels (typical Dutch caramel-cookies), so she had that with a fruit salad in the plane. Otherwise she is still quite jet lagged, and is currently having a good nap here. She’ll do some fun adventures as soon as she wakes up! 

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

Here’s what Sara did today! It was really rainy, so no weather to go outside, but she had a fun Fossil-day nonetheless. First she visited my collection (here she stands on my Neogene shells shelf), and then she brushed up on her Dutch by reading a really interesting article in the Cranium magazine that discussed some misconceptions about the date of extinction and eating habits of Elasmotherium sibiricum (Sara actually made me realize that this big fluffy rhino could kinda be considered as the ceratopsian of the Pleistocene!). 

5F69CF10-E05D-43E1-869C-093ED007CB3E.thumb.jpeg.34797c21b715a9802f4e4b7e091b6711.jpeg

D7F638D5-F1F8-4C83-B1DF-B416F4FF53FA.thumb.jpeg.96adfcb72f24fdaa352c54318d5ee8dd.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Max Derème

On 9/29/2019 at 10:55 PM, caldigger said:

This is the first time I have ever heard a rhino being referred to as "fluffy"! :P

Well you're clearly not from the Pleistocene then! ;) 

Max Derème

If anyone is wondering what Sara has been up to these past couple days, just know that she's very happy taking an extensive tour of my collection! Unfortunately I don't have much time to take her out on a bunch of adventures due to school being really busy and keeping me busy at home too (it's my last year and they're really preparing us extensively, if not too much, for our baccalaureate at the end of the year). I'm also spending a lot of time preparing my university applications as they have to be sent out soon. So I really apologize for the lack of attention Sara is receiving, but I'll make sure to have at least one or two great days with her before sending her off to her next destination!

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to catch up on this thread and see all the wonderful host families and locations Sara has visited.

It's great this is still going strong.

It is, isn't it?

Max? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi guys! 

If Sara wants to go to Japan, she is welcome.

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

1 hour ago, David in Japan said:

Hi guys! 

If Sara wants to go to Japan, she is welcome.

David

There’s a link to a list on the first page of this thread that you can put your name on if you want to participate. There’s about 17 people ahead of you at the minute. Once max moves her along that is.

14 minutes ago, Randyw said:

There’s a link to a list on the first page of this thread that you can put your name on if you want to participate. There’s about 17 people ahead of you at the minute. Once max moves her along that is.

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Where is Sara now? It is all so quiet . :(

I believe Max stated he was very busy with schooling and had to halt the rapid paced touring for a bit.  

Sara is getting a nice rest so she can continue the journey with a refreshed attitude. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

I believe Max stated he was very busy with schooling and had to halt the rapid paced touring for a bit.  

Sara is getting a nice rest so she can continue the journey with a refreshed attitude. :)

Oh I thought she had by now left the Netherlands . That’s cool I hope we can see some nice photos of Sara in one of my favourite countries. 

Hey everyone, sorry for the inactivity! Indeed, I've been very busy lately with school work and university applications, but now I've got a week of holidays so I had more time to spend with Sara. In fact, yesterday was an incredible day for both me and her! I took her with me to my local hunting spot, the Zandmotor, and it's been my best hunt ever! I'll make a more detailed trip report in the Fossil Hunting Trips thread in the days to come, but share Sara's highlights here already. 

5db1f00c54563_IMG_8611(1).thumb.JPG.6534328a1ed4b3105ae69c9abf6a0dd6.JPG

Sara getting ready for the hunt

5db1f00ee0f5c_IMG_8614(1).thumb.JPG.1302b33c3412e5a24143acf0040b3fed.JPG

Sara hunting actively for fossils on the beach.

Max Derème

5db1f06682d2d_IMG_8616(1).thumb.JPG.de40e15915a2ff82c5eb7c19ebff9776.JPG

Sara in front of a really cool horse astralagus! (Equus ferus, Weichselian late Pleistocene)

• I found this Informative 6

Max Derème

IMG_8633.thumb.JPG.3255b8de8fc52f2a77322d776a0e963f.JPG

Sara walking in the shell banks. Her camouflage skills aren't perfect yet, she's still training...

Max Derème