Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

"Will Sara replace the photo cube?! 

Stay tuned next week...same topsian time, same topsian channel!"

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Last night Sara was shown the guest suite at Palatial snolly Manor. She responded, "It's nice, but it's not a wallow. Outside would be better." So she was shown the courtyard in the backyard and "good nights" exchanged. Before going to bed it seemed appropriate to see if Sara was comfortable; so a peek was taken into the backyard. Sara had used her stout nasal horn to rip out a 10X8 section of turf and proceeded to wriggle her substantial self into the depression in the moist soil. Soon the sounds of her prodigious snoring filled the night air. Even indoors, the respiratory cacophony was of sufficient volume to stave off snolly's sleep for several hours. Eventually drifting off to the music of the saw-mill in the backyard; snolly was jarred awake by a different sound. It was more distant and can best be described as a howl/bellow. Rushing to a rear window snolly saw Sara had left the courtyard. The land on which Palatial snolly Manor is situated is deemed the sandhills. Indeed this rolling topography reveals the ancient dunes where the ocean once lapped SC's shores. snolly scanned the vista searching for Sara. The huge full Moon was just cresting the horizon and snolly spotted her atop a hill and baying at the heavenly object. What ancient relationship was snolly privileged to witness? Sara continued her vocal tribute for a few more minutes then fell silent and returned to the Manor's grounds. All was peaceful for the rest of the night; except for Sara's rather loud chewing of cabbages.   

DSC_0919acz.thumb.jpg.59b935d7a40703db9b190eda86216b0c.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Last night Sara was shown the guest suite at Palatial snolly Manor. She responded, "It's nice, but it's not a wallow. Outside would be better." So she was shown the courtyard in the backyard and "good nights" exchanged. Before going to bed it seemed appropriate to see if Sara was comfortable; so a peek was taken into the backyard. Sara had used her stout nasal horn to rip out a 10X8 section of turf and proceeded to wriggle her substantial self into the depression in the moist soil. Soon the sounds of her prodigious snoring filled the night air. Even indoors, the respiratory cacophony was of sufficient volume to stave off snolly's sleep for several hours. Eventually drifting off to the music of the saw-mill in the backyard; snolly was jarred awake by a different sound. It was more distant and can best be described as a howl/bellow. Rushing to a rear window snolly saw Sara had left the courtyard. The land on which Palatial snolly Manor is situated is deemed the sandhills. Indeed this rolling topography reveals the ancient dunes where the ocean once lapped SC's shores. snolly scanned the vista searching for Sara. The huge full Moon was just cresting the horizon and snolly spotted her atop a hill and baying at the heavenly object. What ancient relationship was snolly privileged to witness? Sara continued her vocal tribute for a few more minutes then fell silent and returned to the Manor's grounds. All was peaceful for the rest of the night; except for Sara's rather loud chewing of cabbages.   

DSC_0919acz.thumb.jpg.59b935d7a40703db9b190eda86216b0c.jpg

:heartylaugh:

21 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I asked why she was so thirsty. Between gulps she reported that Wyoming was nice and that Candace had been a great hostess, but there was "something wrong with the water." Curious, I asked if it tasted bad. "No, Sara said, "It was cold and white and kind of hard. You had to hold it in your mouth a while in order swallow it."

It’s true, she did not like the hard packed snow, as I do not either. Apologize to Sara for me, please. I hope she enjoys her time in sunny SC and I’m glad she made it safely. 

Yesterday was forecast to be a little rainy in SC, so we planned a quiet day. After Sara arose from her wallow (she pronounced the SC soil to be first rate), snolly hosed her off and we spent the day mostly inside. She was fascinated by some of the objects on display and she had tons of questions. She was particularly interested in Megalodon teeth and she required quite a bit of reassurance that there were none living in the lake.

DSC_0922acz.thumb.jpg.976df228aa4fe78c7db499039871d472.jpg

She also had many questions about the Oreodonts. She nodded in approval as I described their diet and herding tendency. She seemed to feel some common bond with those creatures.

DSC_0929acz.thumb.jpg.958d2a1b88c890f32c52f22814139956.jpg  

• I found this Informative 11

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We spent another pleasant day with Sara. She enjoyed exploring the jungle-like stand that serves as the snollywife's breakfast room planting of herbs and other plants. There was some mild controversy, as the snollywife had to twice admonish Sara not to eat the orchids, which are now starting to bloom once more. This brief unpleasantness was easily overcome by pointing Sara in the direction of the Camellia bushes now blooming in great abundance. "Delicious," Sara opined. snolly piped in, "I guess flowers are a real treat for you since none existed in the Cretaceous." This comment resulted in Sara delivering a five minute lecture admonishing snolly for not being well read in the newest literature. "It is now known, she concluded, that flowers were extant long before previously believed."

DSC_0936acz.thumb.jpg.40fbac6e51247021d9c7ff472b4b4989.jpg 

DSC_0905acz.thumb.jpg.729c9bb11a1a2dcb077b01d5a9f99d0b.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Aha! 

So that's where wifey's prize begonias went. 

And she blamed poor innocent Tidgy. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

the snollywife had to twice admonish Sara not to eat the orchids,

Haha .. Oh silly Sara.

giphy.gif

Yikes! Busted!

At present snolly has retreated to his lair while Sara and the snollywife settle a minor dispute over some missing orchid blossoms. snolly "don't have a dog in that fight," and he's got enough sense to steer clear.

DSC_0940acz.thumb.jpg.54ba7015a67c4b3f76b4a8898211404d.jpg

Not to worry, when snolly emerged from the snollylair it was apparent that any conflict surrounding the munched orchids had been resolved. Sara and the snollywife were seated at the breakfast room table and chatting like old friends. Oddly, they were not conversing in English, but in some obscure dialect unknown to snolly. Now snolly had long hypothesised that female Homo sapiens  sometimes employed a secret language for communication among the distaff contingent. Now, it would appear that this sub rosa mode could be employed interspecies. The only word of the exchange that was familiar to snolly was his own name. It was generously interspersed in the conversation and curiously its mention was always followed by snickers or outright guffaws. They must have been amused by some of snolly's great accomplishments; surely they would not have been discussing any small flaw or foible that snolly might possess.

The snollywife continued Sara's tour of the treasures housed at Palatial snolly Manor. Here is a photo of Sara on the sun porch examining some fossil coral which displays a botryoidal mineral habit. 

DSC_0903acz.thumb.jpg.5f9d5bcfbe78813ccbe50afcdc695d7b.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Within the courtyard that presently serves as Sara's bedroom is a foundation planting of four Tea Olives, Osmanthus fragrans. As the species name announces, these shrubs/small trees produce tiny, incredibly fragrant flowers. The Tea Olives were over twelve feet tall and were in need of some judicious pruning. Of course, like with every other exigency, snolly found reasons to put off the task. Not surprisingly Sara was drawn to the sweet smelling plants and found them a delightful munch. This did not seem a problem. After all they were in need of a little cutting back, and even though they are currently in bloom; now is the opportune time. Now Sara and her ilk are built to be low browsers. However, she would not be denied a higher, desirable graze. Using her prodigious bulk, she was easily able to lean into the large shrubs and make the higher portions, well, lower. The end result? snolly will chainsaw the remaining "shrubs" to even them out at about two and one half feet tall. Perhaps they will revive in the Spring, given the absence of any large herbivores.

DSC_0953acz.thumb.jpg.9dfdcbae6fac773814f4a0fe53c0ed9b.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

6 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Within the courtyard that presently serves as Sara's bedroom is a foundation planting of four Tea Olives, Osmanthus fragrans. As the species name announces, these shrubs/small trees produce tiny, incredibly fragrant flowers. The Tea Olives were over twelve feet tall and were in need of some judicious pruning. Of course, like with every other exigency, snolly found reasons to put off the task. Not surprisingly Sara was drawn to the sweet smelling plants and found them a delightful munch. This did not seem a problem. After all they were in need of a little cutting back, and even though they are currently in bloom; now is the opportune time. Now Sara and her ilk are built to be low browsers. However, she would not be denied a higher, desirable graze. Using her prodigious bulk, she was easily able to lean into the large shrubs and make the higher portions, well, lower. The end result? snolly will chainsaw the remaining "shrubs" to even them out at about two and one half feet tall. Perhaps they will revive in the Spring, given the absence of any large herbivores.

DSC_0953acz.thumb.jpg.9dfdcbae6fac773814f4a0fe53c0ed9b.jpg

Im not surprised Sara was attracted to the trees - the smell is delightful :wub: and it must be a great fun for her to be in such conditions after the visit to the region with hard water ;)

On 1/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, Kasia said:

it must be a great fun for her to be in such conditions after the visit to the region with hard water ;)

Indeed, when discussing her adventures Sara has revealed a preference for warmer climes. No matter the weather, she expressed marked enthusiasm for all the wonderful sights she has seen thus far. She expressed gratitude for the warm reception she has received from all the hosts. When asked the unfair question, "Who is the favorite person she has met thus far?" She immediately replied, "Viola!" She stated that Viola was much younger than most of the other "ape animals" she has met, and she was a lot of fun. Sara went on to say, "...and she had this creature for a friend. I have never seen anything like it. It was not an ape like you and it wasn't a dinosaur. It was really fuzzy and black colored. Viola called it a Gilbert. It had sharp teeth like a bad dinosaur and long sharp claws that it could hide in its feet! We played a fun game together. The creature would roll me with its paw - just like the game a Mother Ceratopsian plays with her kids! Fun!" snolly was a little perplexed by this description; but fortunately remembered the illustration that Viola had thoughtfully provided in the travel journal accompanying Sara. Viola's drawing, reproduced below, reveals the mystery creature and the game.

violadrawac.thumb.jpg.4465daf2cb70505728d2e976d41afc5f.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

I hope everyone has been adhering to the cashe box

( Sara's suitcase ) that accompanies her travels. I haven't heard anything about the exchanges going on. :shrug: After all, this thread is part of the "Trades" topic.  

I wonder if any of my original items are still in there or if nobody wanted them so they are all still there. :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

25 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I haven't heard anything about the exchanges going on. 

Don't worry, snolly will take good care of any treasures (mine, all mine, bwahahaha!) 

11 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Indeed, when discussing her adventures Sara has revealed a preference for warmer climes. No matter the weather, she expressed marked enthusiasm for all the wonderful sights she has seen thus far. She expressed gratitude for the warm reception she has received from all the hosts. When asked the unfair question, "Who is the favorite person she has met thus far?" She immediately replied, "Viola!" She stated that Viola was much younger than most of the other "ape animals" she has met, and she was a lot of fun. Sara went on to say, "...and she had this creature for a friend. I have never seen anything like it. It was not an ape like you and it wasn't a dinosaur. It was really fuzzy and black colored. Viola called it a Gilbert. It had sharp teeth like a bad dinosaur and long sharp claws that it could hide in its feet! We played a fun game together. The creature would roll me with its paw - just like the game a Mother Ceratopsian plays with her kids! Fun!" snolly was a little perplexed by this description; but fortunately remembered the illustration that Viola had thoughtfully provided in the travel journal accompanying Sara. Viola's drawing, reproduced below, reveals the mystery creature and the game.

violadrawac.thumb.jpg.4465daf2cb70505728d2e976d41afc5f.jpg

Hi John!

It looks as though Sara is having a wonderful time with you and Kathy!  The meals you have provided her are exactly what she'd like - you two are wonderful hosts :)

We all enjoyed the little game that Gilbert played with Sara.  We were sitting at the table having dinner with Sara when Gilbert jumped up onto the edge of the table (I know we shouldn't let him do that, but we all love getting head bumps from Gilbert, including during dinner!).  Gilbert, who was sitting on the table edge, noticed Sara in front of him, and so he swiped at her (don't worry - I caught her before she tumbled to the floor).  We all had a good laugh, so I placed her (gently, of course!) back in front of him and he did it again.  I think we played that little game for a good 5 minutes, which is a lot for an old-ish cat like Gilbert (he's exclusively an indoor cat and he's 10 years old)!

Keep the Sara stories coming - I am very much enjoying your posts! :dinothumb:

Please say hello to Sara for us!!!

Your cold friends up in snowy Canada,

Monica and Viola

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

( Sara's suitcase ) that accompanies her travels. I haven't heard anything about the exchanges going on. :shrug: After all, this thread is part of the "Trades" topic.  

I wonder if any of my original items are still in there or if nobody wanted them so they are all still there. :default_rofl:

Sorry Doren nobody had posted pictures of the trades before so I thought it was a kept it to yourself kind of thing. I did take from the box and added a little something but I can’t remember now what it was. Here is my beautiful prise and I would like to thank the very kind members who paid for Sara’s stay at ours.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

I didn't mean everyone needed to take and post pictures of the items, just wondering if the trade outs were going on since there were no mentions of it.

Carry on, you all are doing a wonderful job at entertaining our little Sara and showing her and us what the rest of the world looks like. :thumbsu:

I'm so glad this is working out and she didn't suffer the fate of poor "Gorgeous George". :unsure:

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I didn't mean everyone needed to take and post pictures of the items, just wondering if the trade outs were going on since there were no mentions of it.

Carry on, you all are doing a wonderful job at entertaining our little Sara and showing her and us what the rest of the world looks like. :thumbsu:

Why not show the trades? It is fun to see what members choose .,:dinothumb:

You can...by all means.  I just wanted to state it wasn't a requirement. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

You can...by all means.  I just wanted to state it wasn't a requirement. 

Ok cool  I thought it was strange to take something and not thank the member who added it even if it is anonymously.  :)

There was a happy event this week. The Mosasaur jaw fragment, prepped by snolly and its custom Bloodwood stand finally found its permanent home. A corner of the crowded formal dining room of Palatial snolly Manor was selected and the piece was ensconced. Naturally Sara attended the brief dedication ceremony. She had many questions about Mosasaurs. They chiefly centered on her seeking of reassurance that none were extant in the lake.

DSC_0955acz.thumb.jpg.8c33be9f4060944ff06c6b709f8084f8.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, caldigger said:

I thought I'd show everyone what I took from Sara's suitcase: an adorable little pea crab! :wub:

DSC00934.thumb.JPG.9e87bc6d7cc7f2c826f2bd03a94b8135.JPG

Thank you, Sara and friends!

• I found this Informative 7

We took a lovely Great White tooth and left a couple of goodies. One was for Sara’s favorite human so far lol 

I love the reports from @snolly50 . Very detailed and humorous. Keep having fun Sara, Northern California misses you. 

• I found this Informative 3