Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

I just checked Sara's tracking number. It says she is still on her way. Her last update was in a Bulgarian mail facility on August 13th.

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:27 PM, Praefectus said:

Sara has been doing some exploring lately. She took a field trip through some of my shelves and had fun walking among the fossils. 

It's a wonderful collection.

But, wait,

217910401_831456474416015_4690723118601330953_n.jpg.136b907b788ec482ab4f4d09fe07e5e8.jpg

Godzilla is strangling Sara !

• Enjoyed 4

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

But wily Sara has watched enough World Wrestling Foundation wrestling matches on TV to know how to get out of a hold like that. I'm sure she sent that overgrown lizard back to Tokyo with a new found respect for ceratopsians. ;)

Now if she can just put a sleeper hold on those Bulgarian customs agents who are delaying her next arrival, I'm sure we'll hear from her soon.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, digit said:

Now if she can just put a sleeper hold on those Bulgarian customs agents 

I'm not sure putting them to sleep would be a terribly good idea.  

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Unless you can then quietly tip-toe out the customs back door and make it to your intended destination. :TongueOut:

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, digit said:

Unless you can then quietly tip-toe out the customs back door and make it to your intended destination. :TongueOut:

Cheers.

-Ken

I have never heard a ceratopsian quietly tip-toe, I got to go to the post office more often. There's no ceratopsian emoji? :headscratch:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

20 hours ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

Here we call that "Filer à l'anglaise".

I'm sure she's smart and skilled enough to do that.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

On 8/25/2021 at 12:20 AM, Top Trilo said:

I have never heard a ceratopsian quietly tip-toe, I got to go to the post office more often. There's no ceratopsian emoji? :headscratch:

:ank::)

In memory of Doren

7 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

:ank::)

I too thought that may be some sort of ceratopsian when I first saw it but if you hover your mouse over it, it says ank which I assume to be short for Ankylosaurus.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

You're right !

In memory of Doren

• 2 weeks later...

Guys just wanted to give an update.

I called this Friday at my local post office, which handles every delivery I have got so far by post, and they still do not have it in the system.

My assumption, much of the personnel is coming back from vacations and the process is really slow. Today is a public holiday (Unification of Bulgaria) and typically one of the last holidays that follow summer vacations. More stuff will return so they will start processing.

I also read similar complains on a FB page for foreigners (Where is my order and so on) so I guess it is a general problem.

If no updates until Friday, I will pass from the local post office.

• I found this Informative 2

20 hours ago, Dimitris said:

f no updates until Friday, I will pass from the local post office.

Thanks for letting us know, much appreciated. It would be great if you can chase her up on Friday if she is not arrived.  :thumbsu:

Just for some context, @PetrosTrilobite, from Greece, won my auction for the forum and I sent his winnings on June 25th. They still have not arrived.  

Hopefully Sarah and my package are sitting together in the mailroom!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 1:51 PM, Dimitris said:

If no updates until Friday, I will pass from the local post office.

Hi I was wondering if there is any news on Sara

Her tracking number last updated on August 16th. It says her parcel was placed in a domestic bag in Sofia, Bulgaria. No updates since :shakehead:

@Dimitris Have you had any luck contacting the local post office?

Yeap everything is alright. 

After a couple of tries, I spoke with the supervisor of my local post office, she confirmed me that the parcel is in the customs

(No notification, regardless they should have done it....) and I will now go and submit the documents for custom declaration.

PS> Sorry for my late reply, have some ongoing personal issues.

Edited by Dimitris
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Dimitris said:

No notification, regardless they should have done it....) and I will now go and submit the documents for custom declaration.

Thanks for helping to track down Sara, really much appreciated. 

All the best to you .
Cheers Bobby 

Still no news from the post.

I hope they will contact me soon since we still have nice and warm weather, ideal to take Sara to some nice outcrop.

We count already a month and some days in the customs, Sara must have starved :shakehead:

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:58 AM, Dimitris said:

Sara must have starved :shakehead:

Being a herbivore, the box may provide some nutrients. If she escapes customs,   Slipping onto a slow boat and walking, may prove faster. :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 2

On 9/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Dimitris said:

Still no news from the post.

I hope they will contact me soon since we still have nice and warm weather, ideal to take Sara to some nice outcrop.

We count already a month and some days in the customs, Sara must have starved :shakehead:

Hi I was wondering is there any way to put a more official complaint / request  to see if we can find her now. She been around the world many times and it would be very sad if she is lost. Thanks so much for your help and I am sure if you tell her long story or travels log she will be found . Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I Agree 4

12 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi I was wondering is there any way to put a more official complaint / request  to see if we can find her now. She been around the world many times and it would be very sad if she is lost. Thanks so much for your help and I am sure if you tell her long story or travels log she will be found . Cheers Bobby 

I got this message yesterday. This means that I can visit the post office on Monday, pay custom duties and maybe after a week, retrieve the packet.

The last line reads as "дължите митнически сборове" which means you owe custom duties.

The packet was sent as a gift, I provided documentation (the first page of the original post) that proves no fiscal transaction takes place, I declared that I am waiting geological samples, yet the customs still want a small chunk off my pocket.. Maybe only on the shipping value? Who knows...

@Bobby Rico I wish I had the nerves and the time to waste to make an official complain, yet in two weeks time, we are organising a group fossil hunt and it would be brilliant to have Sara with us. Nevertheless, the official written complain would still have only the following three outcomes:

i) mail daemon failure notification - Your message was never received because we have an email just for public reference, does not mean it works..

ii) No response needed, straight to the garbage bin.

iii) Generic response after six months "We are really sorry for the inconvenience, XYZ apologies without a straight reply, Sincerely...."

Let's stick on the bright side:

• Sara is not lost.
  • Will be with me in a week time.
  • Fossil trip around 15th of October.

Who can tell me who is the next one to receive Sara? Actually which will be the next country?

viber_image_2021-09-26_14-51-04-752.jpg

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Dimitris said:

I wish I had the nerves and the time to waste to make an official complain, yet in two weeks time,

If Sara is safe and not lost then on need to complain at all  but we do need to make sure of this now. I really appreciate your help and that you kept us all in the the lope.  Complaint was the wrong word to use but with my dyslexia that was all I could think of. Looking forward to seeing her on your fossil hunting trip. Cheers Bobby 

• I Agree 1

Eventually, Sara is safe!! Even more interesting, the message I received from the post was nonsense. Although I was obliged to pay taxes, the sum was zero :DOH:

Anyway, after 40+ days in the customs, feeding was first priority.... Some blueberries will help!

viber_image_2021-09-28_18-57-06-291.thumb.jpg.4a7c3f4c2ec7e9e6ce9ca004fa854b0a.jpg

Showing her some million years before her existence, Lower Callovian through Oxfordian.

viber_image_2021-09-28_18-57-06-372.thumb.jpg.d9cb7fbf4f042a7e25df120614eb493c.jpg

Quick inspection at some Moroccan things

viber_image_2021-09-28_18-57-06-200.thumb.jpg.713834eed9e0bc371da92af50f3ff2f7.jpg

Sitting on top of a Greek clypeaster. That was like a fast forward of 60M years!

viber_image_2021-09-28_18-57-06-089.thumb.jpg.85d1e1106e72c614801c1d70c17c35b8.jpg

What's next?

• Well, for sure that fossil hunting trip in a very significant place in the East side of the country.
  • Visit the museum Earth and Man, which I haven't seen so far. Maybe another visit to the National Museum of Natural History. Not so impressive fossil collection, but it's theme related.
  • A stop at the most known landmark of Sophia.
  • Lastly, if weather permits it on 24th-25th of October, a small and solo fossil hunting trip at a Carboniferous locality near Sophia.
  • There might be a small diversion to Greece this weekend. If I manage it, I will stop at the coal basins of NW Greece, near Ptolemaida. Why not? After all Sara is a keen tourist!

I hope you enjoy the pictures that will follow the next three weeks and through this opportunity let me show you some sceneries of SE Europe.

Cheers from Bulgaria!

• Enjoyed 6

Thank goodness!

Sara has been causing me nightmares over the past few months, through no fault of her own! 

I look forward to seeing her upcoming adventures with you, Dimitris! :popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That’s brilliant. @Dimitris you have some beautiful ammonites. Enjoy your your time with Sara you have waited long enough. It been 24 years since I was in Sofia, I am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Edited by Bobby Rico