Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

4 hours ago, Monica said:

PS - Roger - the next time you're in town, feel free to swing by for a cookie/brownie - there's always something available on the kitchen counter, and you're more than welcome to help yourself :)

:megdance:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

22 hours ago, Monica said:

perhaps she can even help me with my baking!

I think her oven mitt may be on the micro side! ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Sara has arrived in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada!!!

She was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday, and when I opened the box I could tell that she needed to stretch her legs, so I took her out and allowed her to watch a bit of TV with Viola and William.  The show that was on at the time is called "Dino Dana", and I think Sara became a little frightened at the raptor that appeared on the screen so she turned away at that moment - can you see her???

DSC00637.thumb.JPG.f6b0e649614c4266813d207640bf8f12.JPG

Afterwards, Sara said she was a little hungry so she joined us for dinner.  She feasted on a variety of vegetables (because she's a herbivore, as Viola reminded me) while we ate some home-made pizza:

DSC00640.thumb.JPG.223b17d5242a05d29412721825e2e142.JPGDSC00641.thumb.JPG.dd3f4084225ad024caa3cd7047be66da.JPG

Then it was bedtime.  Viola wanted Sara to join her in her room, but I was worried that Sara might get lost among all of Viola's toys so instead I put her to bed in my fossil collection, nestled with some dinosaur eggshell pieces from France and Argentina:

DSC00642.thumb.JPG.faea22a5e95889a549a921400d94ac9e.JPG

I hope Sara feels refreshed this morning - I'll keep you posted of her activities with us as the days progress...

• I found this Informative 11

On 9/5/2019 at 5:43 AM, Monica said:

Sara has arrived in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada!!!

She was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday, and when I opened the box I could tell that she needed to stretch her legs, so I took her out and allowed her to watch a bit of TV with Viola and William.  The show that was on at the time is called "Dino Dana", and I think Sara became a little frightened at the raptor that appeared on the screen so she turned away at that moment - can you see her???

Afterwards, Sara said she was a little hungry so she joined us for dinner.  She feasted on a variety of vegetables (because she's a herbivore, as Viola reminded me) while we ate some home-made pizza:

Then it was bedtime.  Viola wanted Sara to join her in her room, but I was worried that Sara might get lost among all of Viola's toys so instead I put her to bed in my fossil collection, nestled with some dinosaur eggshell pieces from France and Argentina:

I hope Sara feels refreshed this morning - I'll keep you posted of her activities with us as the days progress...

I am very happy she made it ! Looks like she is going to have a great visit. Super cute pictures :)

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

What is in the baggie she seems to be lugging around with her?

That's actually a little something that @fossilsonwheels generously packed for Viola, but shhhh - it's a secret :ninja::P

2 hours ago, Monica said:

That's actually a little something that @fossilsonwheels generously packed for Viola, but shhhh - it's a secret :ninja::P

Since the cat...errr... fossil... is out of the bag lol We sent an extra fossil for Viola. A little piece of Camarasaurus bone. I showed my son the pictures of Sara with the piece of Cam (we let kids name the dinos in class lol). We got a kick out of that :)

• I found this Informative 2

Update on Sara's stay with us here in MIssissauga, Ontario, Canada...

Yesterday, Sara helped me pick out which fossil I should bring for this school year's first "Fossil Friday."  I told her that I wanted to bring something that I've found in the area with the hope that I might inspire some of my students to start fossil-hunting locally, but I didn't want to bring my "best" local fossil so they wouldn't think that every trip out is going to result in something amazing.  As you can see in the photo below, she pointed me in the direction of my Treptoceras crebriseptum orthoconic nautiloids, so I decided to bring one of those:

DSC00643.thumb.JPG.864fc47add773596b9cbd8d3396264aa.JPG

Today, since it's the beginning of the weekend, I did my baking for the week.  In honour of Sara's visit, I decided to bake some vanilla sugar cookies using my dinosaur cookie cutters.  Sara suggested that I only make cookies of herbivorous dinosaurs (she's still a little shaken up from seeing that raptor on TV the other day), and I complied.  As you can see in the photos below, she was a good supervisor during the rolling, cutting, and baking process:

DSC00644.thumb.JPG.717f97459e2f2ebe657fd7090f68c46d.JPGDSC00645.thumb.JPG.573eb8fedd5b08a73c24a7040e3c86f6.JPGDSC00646.thumb.JPG.fb55ac7aac48a95a068e52d14c4e7aeb.JPG

I think the kids will decorate some of the cookies later - I'm sure Sara will participate in that event, so there will be more photos forthcoming...

We're also planning on visiting the Royal Ontario Museum with Sara this afternoon, so keep an eye out for photos of that trip, too...

Update on Sara's stay with us here in MIssissauga, Ontario, Canada...

Yesterday, Sara helped me pick out which fossil I should bring for this school year's first "Fossil Friday."  I told her that I wanted to bring something that I've found in the area with the hope that I might inspire some of my students to start fossil-hunting locally, but I didn't want to bring my "best" local fossil so they wouldn't think that every trip out is going to result in something amazing.  As you can see in the photo below, she pointed me in the direction of my Treptoceras crebriseptum orthoconic nautiloids, so I decided to bring one of those:

DSC00643.thumb.JPG.864fc47add773596b9cbd8d3396264aa.JPG

Today, since it's the beginning of the weekend, I did my baking for the week.  In honour of Sara's visit, I decided to bake some vanilla sugar cookies using my dinosaur cookie cutters.  Sara suggested that I only make cookies of herbivorous dinosaurs (she's still a little shaken up from seeing that raptor on TV the other day), and I complied.  As you can see in the photos below, she was a good supervisor during the rolling, cutting, and baking process:

DSC00644.thumb.JPG.717f97459e2f2ebe657fd7090f68c46d.JPGDSC00645.thumb.JPG.573eb8fedd5b08a73c24a7040e3c86f6.JPGDSC00646.thumb.JPG.fb55ac7aac48a95a068e52d14c4e7aeb.JPG

I think the kids will decorate some of the cookies later - I'm sure Sara will participate in that event, so there will be more photos forthcoming...

We're also planning on visiting the Royal Ontario Museum with Sara this afternoon, so keep an eye out for photos of that trip, too...

Sara looks she is having an awesome time :)

I know we all like to go to an museum but one of the fantastic things about Mrs S  visiting is you get the opportunity to do so. She has been to a few but Royal Ontario Museum is going to be an treat. Enjoy your day. Bobby 

Sara texted me and said this was her favorite shaped one to make.

It reminded her of grandma Centrosarus.

20190907_114247.png

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Today, since it's the beginning of the weekend, I did my baking for the week.  In honour of Sara's visit, I decided to bake some vanilla sugar cookies using my dinosaur cookie cutters. 

:drool:

More of Sara's adventures with us here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada...

After baking on Saturday morning, I decided to take Sara and the kids to the Royal Ontario Museum (the ROM) in the afternoon so Sara could visit some of her relatives.

Here is Sara riding on the TTC subway - William and Viola are ensuring she stays safe:

DSC00647.thumb.JPG.18897c8806e78f0efb3bab40801836c7.JPG

Viola introducing Sara to some of her relatives from the Cretaceous:

DSC00648.thumb.JPG.adae0c195e96704dcf971c4b5b8a6410.JPG

Chasmosaurus belli checking Sara out:

DSC00652.thumb.JPG.32113ba07faea14ec85451c9d50a810f.JPG

William and Viola figuring out where Sara fits in this Ceratopsian family tree:

DSC00664.thumb.JPG.3cb237344dc32f1cbba1b61e6ebb504e.JPG

Sara posing for a photo with the "new dino" that's currently named Wendiceratops - can you spot Sara???

DSC00665.thumb.JPG.f20ee378de5cc379da81c670ea4a92ca.JPG

Sara was getting hungry and these Cretaceous plants looked very appetizing to her, but I told her to wait because we were going to have something much yummier at the end of our trip to the ROM:

DSC00666.thumb.JPG.4d3eed3ebc0ba50ae73b39a0ec1986cb.JPG

Sara checking out a hadrosaur fossilized bone:

DSC00672.thumb.JPG.097985332a44246e50b1786842ec4797.JPG

Sara supervising Viola's work in excavating "fossils":

DSC00674.thumb.JPG.eb5d00ccfe34eb739c04666f27cc216b.JPG

Sara joining the kids as they read a book about coprolites - I imagine @GeschWhat would like to see this photo :):

DSC00675.thumb.JPG.a05d4e1feb3a17c8190889a0ca7fe08c.JPG

Viola and William offering to share some of their ice-cream-truck-ice-creams with Sara:

DSC00677.thumb.JPG.47c1ad05f6b4c31f73b5b3fc867fda97.JPG

More Sara adventures to follow...

Sunday started off with Sara helping the kids decorate the dinosaur cookies I baked the day before:

DSC00682.thumb.JPG.eb9a9e0ace105a8ae2ae8cadd133020a.JPG

In the late afternoon on Sunday, I took Sara for a quick fossil hunt at Etobicoke Creek just before dinner.  Here is Sara overlooking the site:

DSC00692.thumb.JPG.4be7ec836780ffc608d01f0139fc64ad.JPG

Here are some of the fossiliferous rocks that Sara and I found at Etobicoke Creek.  We didn't take any of the pictured fossils home because the rocks were much too big, but I did come home with three small pieces of orthoconic nautiloids so I was happy!  Anyway, here are some fossil photos:

Bryozoans and a couple of crinoid stems

DSC00684.thumb.JPG.4cec56835bd515aa17ff979b3326691b.JPG

A bunch of crinoid stems

DSC00685.thumb.JPG.1a3a499c9818e680851b73824f99ba8c.JPG

A bivalve with both valves

DSC00686.thumb.JPG.51b7b205a278b9b1b1a855b3a9e63c8a.JPG

A couple of orthoconic nautiloids

DSC00689.thumb.JPG.ca0fdfbe0407a6a7fa033e7c392e00c9.JPG

Thanks for checking out our photos!  Sara still has to check out more of my fossil collection so keep an eye out for that update...

On 7.09.2019 at 8:44 PM, caldigger said:

Sara texted me and said this was her favorite shaped one to make.

It reminded her of grandma Centrosarus.

20190907_114247.png

:heartylaugh:

@Monica

Another great adventure of Sara :dinothumb: - a well-balanced mixture of knowing the life of the local residents, some sightseeing and successfull fossil hunting, simply awesome :)

The cookies shaped like dinos are so cute - and look delicious, too :drool:

On 9.9.2019 at 11:53 AM, Monica said:

Sara posing for a photo with the "new dino" that's currently named Wendiceratops - can you spot Sara???

My eagle eye is still working :look:

DSC00665.thumb.JPG.f20ee378de5cc379da81c670ea4a92ca.JPG.4f05662dd83fdfa95deb2492648c737a.JPG

Sara sure does give us a good excuse to get out and do something interesting, doesn't she? I wonder what she'll be wanting to do when she gets over here. Looks like the kids are having a great time. Viola is just beaming and even William seems to be enjoying himself.

• I found this Informative 3

On 9/7/2019 at 8:25 AM, Monica said:

Sara suggested that I only make cookies of herbivorous dinosaurs (she's still a little shaken up from seeing that raptor on TV the other day), and I complied. 

You may wan't to break this to Sara gently. This summer, I discovered scientific proof that her cousins were carnivores....

IMG_2378a.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

After all those cookies and coprolite talk, I think Sara finally realized just how "poopped"  she actually is from all this traveling and is now enjoying a long needed nap to ward off some of the jet lag.

Soon she'll be refreshed enough to take on what ever the world has to offer next.

:meg: As James Taylor sang, "Going to Carolina"...

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 11/09/2019 at 2:06 PM, GeschWhat said:

discovered scientific proof

It is not often you can say exactly what animal coprolite is from. :D

Sara was quite pooped this week and just spent some time exploring my fossil collection - pictures will follow later today/tomorrow.  However, we have a couple of things planned for her this weekend before she heads to her next location next week...

The kids and I are planning to take Sara apple picking and I'd like to take Viola and Sara for a girls'-only fossil-hunting expedition to the Credit River to look for some corals (Viola has yet to visit with me, and I myself have only been once, so it'll be a nice adventure for the three of us).  Hopefully there will be no rain for our planned little outings :fingerscrossed:

Stay tuned...