Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

8 hours ago, Monica said:

The kids and I are planning to take Sara apple picking and I'd like to take Viola and Sara for a girls'-only fossil-hunting expedition to the Credit River to look for some corals (Viola has yet to visit with me, and I myself have only been once, so it'll be a nice adventure for the three of us).  Hopefully there will be no rain for our planned little outings :fingerscrossed:

Stay safe and keep Sara on a short leash and away from swift rivers. We do not need any accidents like the ones that used to happen to Mr. Bill on Saturday Night Live: 

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Apple-picking was a hit with Sara!

First she tried riding a tractor with Viola and William:

DSC00695.thumb.JPG.7c1b3e0635e04aa8defacb8c33b409b3.JPG

Next she checked out a couple of different apple varieties available for picking at the farm we visited:

DSC00700.thumb.JPG.8294b46d5605c7ebaac52456072b9c0a.JPGDSC00701.thumb.JPG.7f1fa0313d5fc3f933e60c19ba767d16.JPG

Wagon rides are always fun:

DSC00702.thumb.JPG.7fe775ab67cd0289c8ea0abb285b9381.JPG

And the view of the farm and surrounding area was beautiful:

DSC00705.thumb.JPG.6d487ae2c2d1cddf505938e3462573a0.JPG

Almost getting eaten by a little goat was terrifying, though:

DSC00707.thumb.JPG.ed82d0552cdb806f50e36e7f4db612e8.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Sara was also nice enough to pose for a few photos with my fossils:

Here she is inspecting some cute little Flexicalymene meeki trilobites in the cabinet containing my older fossils (Cambrian - Pennsylvanian):

DSC00710.thumb.JPG.eacc56540ec900e8910ad89c22cea0e9.JPG

Here she is in the cabinet containing my less-old fossils (Pennsylvanian - Miocene) - she's checking out some bivalves from Vancouver Island:

DSC00711.thumb.JPG.861041cb42c98ac52398cff37abde7df.JPG

And here she is, standing in front of my Polish woolly mammoth tooth:

DSC00713.thumb.JPG.34089622e8c8415d56dbe9bacae01a11.JPG

Tomorrow we'll hopefully go for another local fossil hunt so stay tuned...

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

Very nice fossil room Monica! I believe I see at least one @Bobby Rico print on the wall as well! :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Very nice fossil room Monica! I believe I see at least one @Bobby Rico print on the wall as well! :thumbsu:

I count six. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

20190914_194140.png

She says this variety was her favorite, the color really brings out the blue in her eyes.

20190914_194219.png

What's going on in your household Monica?!  First you terrorize poor little Sara forcing her to watch a big bad theropod on the telle, now you almost get her eaten by a carnivorous goat!

Gosh, her nerves must be on edge!

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I count six. ;)

I knew the T-Rex one on the far right was his. I thought the others might be, but wasn’t sure. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

I knew the T-Rex one on the far right was his. I thought the others might be, but wasn’t sure. :) 

His talents abound!  They look good accenting all the goods in the cabinets.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

His talents abound!  They look good accenting all the goods in the cabinets.

They really do! They tie everything together. Like icing on a cake. One day my “fossil room” will look this good! 

I agree with the others that your fossil room is very nice,

Also really like that Ernst Haeckel print on your wall, love his work! Especially the blastoid illustration he made.

Haeckel_Blastoidea.jpg

4 hours ago, Monica said:

Next she checked out a couple of different apple varieties available for picking at the farm we visited

Oh man .... I miss so much a good Apple orchard. Sara looks like she is having a blast with the kids. She is always the consummate entertainer. 

Fantastic journeys . .. thank you. 

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Stay safe and keep Sara on a short leash and away from swift rivers. We do not need any accidents like the ones that used to happen to Mr. Bill on Saturday Night Live: 

My kids loved this video - we just watched it for the third time!!!

Edit: I just showed my husband some posts here on TFF and your post brought back memories for him - apparently he used to make little plasticine "Mr. Bill"s in school and destroyed them in various ways.  Good times! 

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

20190914_194219.png

What's going on in your household Monica?!  First you terrorize poor little Sara forcing her to watch a big bad theropod on the telle, now you almost get her eaten by a carnivorous goat!

Gosh, her nerves must be on edge!

Sara was totally safe when I took this photo - Viola was standing right next to her (just out of the photo), ready to grab her if necessary.  I'm a firm believer in not completely sheltering our kids/dinos - they really have to experience the world. :)

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Apple-picking was a hit with Sara!

Great idea taking Sara to the orchard! I hear apples are some of her favorite food. ;) 

I wonder if she will visit a pumpkin patch soon?

Thanks for all of the nice comments, everyone - especially regarding my fossil area.  I finally got my fossils organized into the larger cabinets this summer (the cabinets were a 40th birthday gift from my mother-in-law last year), and I'm almost done writing all of the labels - I only have the Oligocene-Pleistocene left to do - woohoo!!!  If anyone wants to see any particular shelf/fossil close up, just let me know - I can take more photos if you like.  And some of you may spot fossils that I've acquired from you through trade, purchase, a gift, or contest win - thanks to this wonderful forum I have a pretty nice collection of items from different geologic periods from around the world - I'm very lucky and thankful to all of you.

I must also mention that my husband was the one who encouraged me to organize my fossils into a nice display, and he helped by gifting me the smaller cabinets, building all the cabinets, gifting me the two ammonite prints, and putting up those and the fantastic prints from Bobby Rico.  He's thinking that I now need a fossil-themed area rug for the floor - I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for an appropriate one.

Next summer I plan on helping Viola organize her fossils - they'll be put on display underneath the shelf with my mammoth tooth on it.  The other shelf (the one that's currently empty) will likely display my fossil-related toys since I currently have a set of Burgess Shale toy invertebrates that I acquired from the ROM's gift shop and I also have a couple of "Paleozoic Pals" that should arrive sometime this fall/winter from the Paleontological Research Institution.  So, there is still some work to be done, but I'm happy with the progress that I've made.

Anyway, it's time for the kids' breakfasts, followed by a quick hunt for corals by the Credit River (if the rain holds out!!!) - I'll be back later...

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Monica said:

He's thinking that I now need a fossil-themed area rug for the floor - I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for an appropriate one.

Ask Ralph. He seems to have the "in" on paleo home decor sources. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Sara, Viola, and I braved the rain this morning for a quick fossil hunt by the Credit River here in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada!

Viola and Sara posing with their very first fossil coral (the colonial rugose coral Favistina calcina) found in the Greater Toronto Area!!!  Sara was nice enough to let Viola keep the fossil:

DSC00714.thumb.JPG.7b9b6629d062d688e2b1d1999d9f14df.JPGDSC00715.thumb.JPG.ca465d9c11e92eb2b9722431370f969f.JPG

Sara found an orthoconic nautiloid (Treptoceras crebriseptum), too!  She/we decided not to keep it, though, because it's pretty small and it's in a pretty big rock:

DSC00718.thumb.JPG.cfadb331070fdbdfce2c8e785732a85e.JPGDSC00717.thumb.JPG.818bbb51f1234f731b268a6433bb1d09.JPG

Viola showing Sara her favourite fossil type: a "shell" (the bivalve Ambonychia radiata):

DSC00719.thumb.JPG.7cbc423fe81e6db06141b4c1b7ca7d22.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Monica said:

She decided not to keep it, though, because it's pretty small and it's in a pretty big rock:

Besides her prepping skills without having an opposable thumb have a lot to be desired ( it's really hard to hold those dental picks! ).

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hi, I don't know when Sara will come to visit me, but I'm off home until the end of the month. 

Sophie. 

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi, I don't know when Sara will come to visit me, but I'm off home until the end of the month. 

Sophie. 

Sophie, there are 16 members ahead of you in the hosting line. I don't think she will be coming before the end of the month. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Update:

I've PM'd the next person in line to host Sara, but I haven't yet heard back from him - as soon as I do, Sara will be on her way once again :)