Sara: The World Traveling Ceratopsian

caldigger

27 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I understand what you are saying Adam but I think I could atleast ask the family. If they don't want them then an auction could be set up. One way or the other they will wind up with someone who wants them.

As a last option, in lieu of any Forum auction, you could have a contest!  ;):)

• Enjoyed 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

What do others think? 

I think we should auction them for the forum . It is a TFF think to do . Doren I believe would be happy for us to do this . This way the fossil go to a good home and become part of the Sara story.

what ever the wheels in motion regards Doren family if they want them that fine too. Just my thoughts 

• I Agree 1

I'm with @Darktooth. It should be up to his family. I could see caldigger being happy with all the suggestions as long as they were appreciated either as an educational use or auction benefiting the forum. As long as they were appreciated by wherever they end up.  (Although the caldigger educational exhibit has a nice ring to it).....

My understanding it is just a few fossil. This has come about  because her baggage  is getting to heavy in regards to how much postage has gone up worldwide. I really don’t think it much at all, not a legacy . It would just have been nice as a last auction from our Doren.

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

I think we should ask Doren's family because those fossils are a part of Doren's will to make Sara gather fossils from all around the World. So, even if they have to deal with his collection, Sara's fossils may have for them a particular sentimental dimension.

• Enjoyed 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I  think Sara was Doren gift to the forum members before we lost him. I really don’t feel we should make to much of this. Sara still going to be traveling with just a few less fossil . She will still have her travel diary . When her traveling is over we can send Sara to his sister in California if she would like her.

• Enjoyed 2

Hello everyone. After much thought I have come to a decision. Before I disclose that decision, I want to say a few things. Even though I never met Doren, I considered him a friend. But I do not pretend to know him well enough to know exactly what he would want done. I will tell you what I learned about Doren through his actions on the forum as well as our correspondence. Doren was a very generous man. He often gave to others, asking nothing in return except appreciation. There were times he sent a package to new members to help them build a collection of fossils and never received a thank-you and the individuals would never be heard on the forum again. But he kept doing it. He never lost faith in Humanity. He gave everyone a chance and some people multiple chances. One of my favorite things about Doren was that he liked to have fun and make jokes. He had his own special sense of humor. Most of Doren's activities on the forum, revolved around the auction, trades, and contests. Now I do agree with Bobby that we should not make too big a fuss over these fossils. For starters I do not believe Doren would have wanted that. Besides we are not talking about a big collection of museum quality specimens. This is a small collection of ok stuff that just happens to weigh enough to add up for postage. I do not believe there is a right or wrong decision here. But the decision I am making is a contest. I feel that it embodies everything Doren was about. I know some of you at first (including myself) felt we should contact the family. I thought about this hard and I believe that they had enough to deal with and I don't think these fossils are going to hold any interest for them. I hope that you all will respect my decision. I am trying to think about what I will put together for the contest. I will try to come up with something soon.

Sincerly,

Dave

Edited by Darktooth
  • Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I think that you have made an excellent decision, Dave. You ended up being placed in a slightly awkward position, but I think your solution is the best one in the circumstances. 

I am pretty sure that Doren would be happy about this , too. :fistbump:

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

contest.

Very lovely worlds about our friend, well said. A contest is a good idea Doren himself used to host them. I remember he used to like to baffle us with guess the very blurry fossils images . 

I am looking forward to playing and I remember you have done a few contest in your time too, so it be bostin (really great).  All the best Bobby and thank you

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I remember he used to like to baffle us with guess the very blurry fossils images

Most competitions are blurry images to me. Glasses.gif.c53622f852649a5c353566c74f4ff0ce.gif

Sometimes, Doren's blurry images were clearer than anything else. Grin.gif.e8d591bd9128582ec611d433dc80d394.gif

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Most competitions are blurry images to me. Glasses.gif.c53622f852649a5c353566c74f4ff0ce.gif

Sometimes, Doren's blurry images were clearer than anything else. Grin.gif.e8d591bd9128582ec611d433dc80d394.gif

Your not wrong mate.  I never won a Caldigger comp . But with my bad eyesight it could have been to my advantage.  

Nice to have something fun to look forward too. 

night all 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

night all 

Nos da, Bobby, old chap. :)

• Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

LOL! I normally can’t even figure out contests let alone win one! Good luck to those that participate!

• Enjoyed 1

Sounds like a great way to make Sara's travels more cost effective going forward and gift the amassed fossils in a way in keeping with Doren's actions here on the forum. Maybe we need a contest to decide what type of contest we should have (and then award the prize to the member who suggests the best contest). :P

I believe Sara can continue making the rounds and we can work out a good means of dispersing her excess baggage.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, digit said:

Maybe we need a contest to decide what type of contest we should have (and then award the prize to the member who suggests the best contest).

Dave is a veteran at the old contests we be in for a treat whatever he decides.   :popcorn:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Dave is a veteran at the old contests we be in for a treat whatever he decides.   :popcorn:

Ahoy!:rolleyes:

• I Agree 1

Aye, Bobby a treat it twill be! Ye may want a goblet o' rum to warsh yer popcorn down yer gullet. Ye scurvy dog!:dinosmile:

• Enjoyed 2

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle o' rum!

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle o' rum!

Ahoy, Me Hearties!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Fifty brachiopods on a dead man's chest. 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Fifty brachiopods on a dead man's chest. 

Shiver me petrified timbers

• Enjoyed 1

DTP  be c'monin for ye.

I wanted to let everyone know that I was unable to get to the post office yet as I have been extremely busy. I WILL get Sara sent off on the next leg of her journey tomorrow. I promise. @minnbuckeye be on the lookout!

Sara has been sent on her next leg of the trip! 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1