Fossil ID - The Landscape Rock Edition

Merry

When one of my sons was a small boy, he went through a crazy about rocks phase.  We spent a lot of time looking through landscape rock that year . He's moved on to college and other interests now, and I'm still glancing over the gravel. I don't have source info for most of these, beyond they were found in Illinois. 

I found this one last week. I think it's absolutely adorable, in that "Don't mess with me. I may be small but I'm still menacing." sort of way. :wub: 

My apologies for the lack of pictures from other angles. I can get those, if needed. I was so excited I only nabbed the business end shot. 

1_jaws2_20190327_194828.jpg

23 minutes ago, Merry said:

1_jaws2_20190327_194828.jpg

This one appears to be a cross-section of a crinoid stem. Compare with this image:

7c56f429025c3f1bc1841d86b86c156e.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

#3 This one was in rock that was advertised as Illinois River rock. I don't know if it's fossil or geologic, but it looks like it has chopped up pieces of grass throughout. Here are top and bottom views. From the side it's only about a centimeter at it's widest spot. 

22flecks0190330_190513.jpg

1flecks20190330_190524.jpg

I agree the first one is a crinoid stem. The last one looks geologic to my eye. Second one I can't say.

• I found this Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

This one appears to be a cross-section of a crinoid stem. Compare with this image:

7c56f429025c3f1bc1841d86b86c156e.jpg

That helps me see it, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

I agree the first one is a crinoid stem. The last one looks geologic to my eye. Second one I can't say.

Thank you. I was leaning geologic on the last one, but it looked odd enough I thought I'd best check before adding it to the Not Fossils box. 

I believe your last rock, the one with the "cut grass", is a type of Porphyry, an igneous rock. 

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Your second one just looks like water tumbled conglomerate to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG