Peace River Incisor

digit

Finally made it out to the Peace River this weekend. Tammy and I spent a day canoeing down the river on Friday checking some of our favorite spots between Brownville Park and Canoe Outpost in Arcadia to see if the river was low enough to guide a group of teen/pre-teen SCUBAnauts for a fossil hunting trip on Saturday. Though the river is still about a foot higher than I'd like it to be, the group got lucky when they planned this trip some six months ago. The river gauge at Arcadia is the lowest it's been this year and still dropping--though rain is expected for Tuesday so that could put a halt to the drop if it is a heavy rain.

Kept a few items I would not otherwise have if I didn't need them for for a bit of fossil show-and-tell with the group before our trip on Saturday. Gave everything away but two items: a tiny laminid shark vertebra that is just a hair over 7 mm (I'm surprised it didn't pass through my 1/4" mesh sifting screen) and the other was my trip-maker as it is something of a mystery and a novel find for me. It appears to be a fully-rooted mammal incisor about 2" (52 mm) long and the crown is about 0.6" (15 mm) at its widest.

When I pulled it from my sifting screen, my first thought was that it might be a camelid incisor. I've seen similar images online now that I'm back home with access to the internet. As this is something new for me, I'd love some confirmation. It would be great to hear from someone with more experience in finds similar to this like @Harry Pristis

Cheers.

-Ken

P3311166.jpg     P3311168.jpg

P3311165.jpg     P3311169.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Wow Ken, while I cant help with ID, i just wanted to say, that's a beauty! I haven't seen a tooth like that before.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Camelid?

That's my best guess at the moment.

Cheers.

-Ken

I was lucky that Dr. Richard Hulbert was working in his office today. He quickly replied back to my request for ID on this sweet little tooth. He confirmed my suspicion that this was a camelid--in particular a lower incisor from the Large-headed Llama (Hemiauchenia macrocephala):

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/hemiauchenia-macrocephala/

It is interesting to note in the above page from the FLMNH website that this species persisted into the Irvingtonian and would have been seen by the Paleoamericans living in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 8

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Camelid?

Has the look, but which one?
LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Has the look, but which one?
LINK

Judging from the shape I would probably say from this position.

20190331_151621.png

*photo courtesy of Harry Pristis archives.

• I found this Informative 2

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I think you are right; now, which Camelid? Isn't there more than one candidate known from the Peace River?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

6 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I think you are right; now, which Camelid? Isn't there more than one candidate known from the Peace River?

Ha, that question will have to go to the East coasters.  I only deal with marine critters.

8 minutes ago, Auspex said:

There are.

You missed my reply above--Dr. Hulbert quickly identified this as Large-headed Llama (Hemiauchenia macrocephala).

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, digit said:

There are.

You missed my reply above--Dr. Hulbert quickly identified this as Large-headed Llama (Hemiauchenia macrocephala).

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, I ALSO found a 1.8 inch  Hemiauchenia macrocephala incisor this weekend (about 20 miles from you). I believe mine is an i2.  I think yours is definitely more impressive!LlamaIncisorMerge.jpg.913fe6a98d9284ba3fc5ea56d5c65858.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think they are both impressive!

Y'all are well on your way to "Frankensteining" a llama together. Keep finding more parts!

15 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I think they are both impressive!

Y'all are well on your way to "Frankensteining" a llama together. Keep finding more parts!

I may be able to help with this. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

48 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I may be able to help with this. :)

Hey!  This llama only has two real teeth and the rest of it is just a bunch of sand and water based glue!!!  :angry:

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

20190331_151621.png

*photo courtesy of Harry Pristis archives.

Look what I found Friday night at the peace river, this had me so pumped. Only my 2nd time sifting 

397F7A8F-A6A0-4031-9EC8-96815E4126C9.jpeg

10 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Ken, I ALSO found a 1.8 inch  Hemiauchenia macrocephala incisor this weekend (about 20 miles from you). I believe mine is an i2.  I think yours is definitely more impressive!

I would have been overjoyed to have seen either of these show up in my sifting screen. The only other camelid finds I have are a molar or two and a proximal phalanx (toe bone).

Hope you found some other nice items on the river this weekend. I spent Saturday guiding 11 canoes full of first-timers on the river. All had fun and a few got some nice finds (complete 2.5" meg, some nice Equus molars, and a glyptodont rosette).

Hoping the river stays in range for a while (and even drops a bit further). I'd hate for this to be my first and last time out this season.

Cheers.

-Ken

14 hours ago, digit said:

There are.

Cheers.

-Ken

Oh, um, yes...:blush:

8 hours ago, Talltooth89 said:

Look what I found Friday night at the peace river, this had me so pumped. Only my 2nd time sifting 

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place for fossil hunters. 

Normally , you should add new finds for identification into a new thread in Fossil ID section or if not trying to identify into fossil hunting trips.

Please provide length and width of all your photos.

Your 1st canine tooth could be Bear or maybe dire wolf... dimensions help!!!

Your 3rd photo again requires measurements.  It is a phalanx, a toe bone. Lost of different animals have then and they are very similar... I once mistook a jaguar phalanx for deer. 

The Peace River is a fantastic place,  open for discovery.. Here is a bear canine from the peace for comparison

c2017Nov23rdUrsusCanine.thumb.jpg.328fe88869e9935ad9d764c4b6006962.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow. Amazing find Ken. That is a very cool tooth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022