Guana South Beach Help identifying fossil

rayb2229

Found a few fossils at the Guana South Beach in Ponte Vedra, need help identifying. The first one looks like a vertebra of some kind and the second looks like maybe a jaw bone with individual teeth holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

20190331_192044.jpg

20190331_192143.jpg

6 minutes ago, rayb2229 said:

Found a few fossils at the Guana South Beach in Ponte Vedra, need help identifying. The first one looks like a vertebra of some kind and the second looks like maybe a jaw bone with individual teeth holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there .. the first at least we get here with some regularity. It is a fish skull element .. usually called a 'Bonita Nose' - snout.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, rayb2229 said:

Awesome!! Thank you!

Sure .. next time you should drop in a ruler for scale.  Not sure what the other is .. might be something fishy (how big is it ?).  Someone will be by from the area with a better ID.

Cheers,

Brett

Ray, just a suggestion here. But it would serve you better in the future to put items for identification in the "Fossil ID" topic. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Should have thought of the ruler, thank you. The second is about 1/2 inch long, bottom hole goes straight through end to end.

3 minutes ago, rayb2229 said:

Should have thought of the ruler, thank you. The second is about 1/2 inch long, bottom hole goes straight through end to end.

Yeah .. it's so worn.  I'm just not up on my tooth shape and spacing for fish but wahoo, tuna, mackerel etc .. jaw is a possibility ? I could be way off.  Yeah .. haha .. I didn't even notice @caldigger .  The ID Section of the forum is best next time @rayb2229.

Cheers,

Brett

Sorry guys, this was my first post but thank you for the help. I was excited to find these, had a great time with the kids at the beach!

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, rayb2229 said:

Sorry guys, this was my first post but thank you for the help. I was excited to find these, had a great time with the kids at the beach!

And that is the main thing! :)

Nice finds and thanks for sharing. 

Hello,  Ray and family, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png