Macrophyseter

I am currently researching Cretalamna for a written article. When searching for images, I came across this peculiar one that I find interesting.

No information on this image seems to exist, whoever submitted this photo did not add any sort of description, other than the shark was identified as "Cretolamna sp." However, I feel too curious to not scrutinize this photo.

In my attempt to scrutinize the details of this photo, I've concluded a few things. Firstly, it is likely that the fossil came from Lebanon, possibly Cenomanian lagerstattes in Hgula or similar localities, based on the color of the rock and the presence of a possible Diplomystus birdi and generic crustaceans (which are commonly found in the areas. I don't have much of a clue for the fish directly above the shark). Second, it would be difficult to make a solid conclusion as it appears that no teeth are present in the shark fossil (and Cretalamna diagnostics are almost entirely reliant on teeth). Third, some of the parts of the shark fossil, especially the tail portion (marked by a line directly behind the second dorsal fin) may have been artificially reconstructed during prepping.

Cretolamna sp.jpg

I'm super curious as to what an expert in this forum would say about this fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png