Sign in to follow this  
APE992

Anyone in Texas willing to show me ammonite and trilobite sites?

APE992

I'm visiting Texas from California where fossils aren't readily available and I wanted to bring back an ammonite and trilobite for my girlfriend. This is the first time I've been out of the west coast and want to make it memorable.

I was in Mineral Wells Sunday and did find a tiny, partial trilobite but no ammonites. I'm in Austin but I'm willing to drive snarge near anywhere in the state to go on a dig. If anyone wants to show me your collecting sites with the knowledge I'll keep the location to myself I'd greatly appreciate it, and so would my girlfriend.

That aside, thanks all for the great posts! I don't think I would've found what I've collected so far without them.

nivek1969

RyanNREMTP

Waco has some at the Fossil Pit but they are not that big.  About quarter size is the biggest I've collected out there. You have to get a permit from the Corp of Engineers first but they are free. You are also only allowed to collect two fossils per permit.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better location and larger specimens.

JarrodB

Lake Texoma dam area is where most people I know go. Just make sure to stay out of Eisenhower State Park.