Max-fossils

Great finds, Max!  I especially like the second Venerupis decussata that you posted - the one with the shell pattern/ornamentation still visible - very nice!

12 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

33) A cool specimen of the Zirfaea crispata. I love how it still has that rod-thing (no clue what it's called) attached, it usually isn't there in fossil specimens anymore. Oh, and this one is actually a very boring shell too... *yawn*

IMG_4542.thumb.JPG.5c35c194e6f8a54f68264c2b69b41a36.JPG

IMG_4543.thumb.JPG.6987ae6cfef48fb52d26706fd7cf601b.JPG

I think it’s called a hinge tooth?

Nice collection!! I think between your shells and mine, there can't be many left out there!!!!!  LOL My favorite is the  Mimachlamys varia scallop

Mike

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely finds, you certainly had a very good day! :)

Pholas is a genus of bivalve that burrows or bores into soft substrates, soft rocks and even wood.

So it is boring. 

And your photos, both of the location and the fossils are excellent.

Nassarius may be my favourite. 

Thanks Adam!

Good choice, it's a very nice one. I also love that genus name, I find it lovely (much more than "Tritia" :shakehead:)

And you're correct, the Pholas shells (as well as the Zirfaea and some other genera) are quite literally boring, but in the first sense of the word. I'll get a little something sent to you soon :D 

I apologize to everyone for the lameness of the joke :P 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Lame jokes or not, great report.  I really like the map photo.  I may have to do that for some future trip report. 

Getting springish here too.  Went out on Monday to scout out new sites for the museum and we ended up struggling to stay on the snow and mud dirt road, so fossil season is not here yet.  And today it is raining, which is also bad for fossiling here. 

14 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Foot in the hole.

???

Sorry, I really don't understand what you mean by that...

Is this some kind of expression I'm too European to understand? :P 

15 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Max, quite the collection there! Congrats. I think I'm gonna pick the Anomia as my favorite...

Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris! The Anomia are always weird-looking, they're even more 'random' than the common oysters. 

11 hours ago, Natalie81 said:

Nice report Max! 

Thanks Natalie :) 

7 hours ago, belemniten said:

Nice finds Max :) Thanks for posting! Did you found any bones :drool:

Thanks Sebastian, glad you like it. I did find some bone, but nothing too impressive... 3 pieces that I think might be recognizable, but far from museum-quality. I'm usually not very lucky when it comes to the vertebrate stuff on the Zandmotor, however I seem to often surpass my own expectations with the fossil shells! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

6 hours ago, Monica said:

Great finds, Max!  I especially like the second Venerupis decussata that you posted - the one with the shell pattern/ornamentation still visible - very nice!

Thanks Monica! It's my best preserved one so far I think, and my smallest complete one :) 

Not that I have many specimens... it's rather uncommon. 

5 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I think it’s called a hinge tooth?

I don't know... maybe.

To me, a hinge tooth is really a part of the hinge that "slots" in to the other hinge, kinda the way teeth slot into each other. But I'm not sure if this thing really slots into anything, so I don't know if it would be accurate to call it that. I don't know... 

Taking again Monica's favorite Venerupis decussata, I highlighted the two hinge teeth of the shell (I didn't highlight the lateral teeth). 

IMG_4498tee.thumb.jpg.6aa56fa1c82b024e0ea6bc21f0ae2464.jpg

5 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice job with the ID on all these! What a trip :) 

Thank you!!!

4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice collection!! I think between your shells and mine, there can't be many left out there!!!!!  LOL My favorite is the  Mimachlamys varia scallop

Mike

Thanks! Nice choice :) 

And I agree, we'll soon get there! One step at a time, and in some 5 million years we will have collected all the species :muahaha: 

56 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice haul!

You did good out there!

Thanks Tony ^_^ 

20 minutes ago, jpc said:

Lame jokes or not, great report.  I really like the map photo.  I may have to do that for some future trip report. 

Getting springish here too.  Went out on Monday to scout out new sites for the museum and we ended up struggling to stay on the snow and mud dirt road, so fossil season is not here yet.  And today it is raining, which is also bad for fossiling here. 

Thank you! The map photo is very easy: screenshot from Google Satellite, paste it into an image-editing software (I used paint.net , it's free and very good imo), crop the photo and write down/draw anything you wanna add. Took me maybe 10-15 minutes. 

I hope the awaited fossil-season will soon make its way to Wyoming too! :D 

Max Derème

14 minutes ago, thebluecatapilla said:

Great finds!

Thanks!

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks Adam!

Good choice, it's a very nice one. I also love that genus name, I find it lovely (much more than "Tritia" :shakehead:)

And you're correct, the Pholas shells (as well as the Zirfaea and some other genera) are quite literally boring, but in the first sense of the word. I'll get a little something sent to you soon :D 

I apologize to everyone for the lameness of the joke :P 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yay-smiley-1:

Thanks, Max. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

21 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Foot in the hole.

???

Sorry, I really don't understand what you mean by that...

Is this some kind of expression I'm too European to understand? :P 

I thought your joke was in the literal Latin translation.  Mea culpa!

Nice report and pics ,Max! The gastros are my favorite! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

17 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice report and pics ,Max! The gastros are my favorite! 

Thanks Dave :) They're always nice, aren't they?

18 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

I thought your joke was in the literal Latin translation.  Mea culpa!

Ooooh... no it wasn't haha. Adam got it quite quickly (it wasn't far-fetched at all ;))

Ignavus sum :P 

Max Derème

Nice trip/Nice finds!
Just thinking with you 
I personally don't collect this kind of fossils but, I have a few here and there between the sharkteeth.
Ever been to Antwerp/Doel ? there is everything sorted by size because of the pomps. Heavy objects don't travel far like stones but, teeth and shells are pretty flat and travel a bit futher out of the pomps. Which means fosforiet/shells/shark teeth are concetraded in a thick layer  At some points it's more then 4 meter thick (atleast that's how far I digg and still call it safe) This most be heaven for you ? In the left top corner the stuff I'm talking about but, My guess is you know your way around Antwerp but, you might be the one person that is ignored when you ask some one about Antwerp:P They keep things like new spots for themself now a days.

1889658321100-1612 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/5/2019 at 3:34 AM, xxxhalsteren said:

Nice trip/Nice finds!
Just thinking with you 
I personally don't collect this kind of fossils but, I have a few here and there between the sharkteeth.
Ever been to Antwerp/Doel ? there is everything sorted by size because of the pomps. Heavy objects don't travel far like stones but, teeth and shells are pretty flat and travel a bit futher out of the pomps. Which means fosforiet/shells/shark teeth are concetraded in a thick layer  At some points it's more then 4 meter thick (atleast that's how far I digg and still call it safe) This most be heaven for you ? In the left top corner the stuff I'm talking about but, My guess is you know your way around Antwerp but, you might be the one person that is ignored when you ask some one about Antwerp:P They keep things like new spots for themself now a days.

Thanks!

Yeah I've been to Antwerp a couple times already, it's an awesome place. Most people only hunt the shark teeth, meaning many of the fossil shells are left over for me. One of my favorite things about the location (but also one of the most frustrating) is the huge amount of different Astartidae species they have there. My best find from there does still remain a shark tooth: a great Notorhynchus cepedianus. Those cow sharks really had lovely teeth. 

The only spot I went to is probably the most famous one, and I know it's been a little "over-hunted" now, but as you said most people keep the best spots to themselves, so I don't know where the better spots are. 

Max Derème