Al Tahan

Tried a new spot this weekend!

Al Tahan

Hey everyone!

I am about to be on a business trip for the next week so I made sure to try out a new location this past weekend. I went fossil hunting on Saturday and Sunday. Both days! I doubt I’ll get to do a double header like that for a while. Once summer hits I’ll have to figure out a way to fit in all these outdoor activities :headscratch:lol. 

I went  to DSR to play for a little on Saturday morning. I only had until 11:30am to hunt, I had to help wedding planning with the fiancé. I only stayed at DSR for a little and gave myself enough time to go to Briggs rd for a first time hunt. 

Ive never been to Briggs rd but I’ve seen some trips posted by Dave @Darktooth and the location was very close to DSR. It was a site I was told to visit if I wanted to find Eldredgeops. Greenops are the more common trilobite at DSR and Eldredgeops is the more common trilobite at Briggs rd. 

I must say...very interesting site. Not very “pretty” as far as roadside quarries go, but she’s a beauty I tell ya haha. I’ll follow with pictures of Saturday’s DSR and Briggs rd finds after the text. 

I took my nephew out fossil hunting on Sunday cause he’s been pretty aware of my activities lately lol. I took him, my sister and brother in law to DSR and Briggs rd on Sunday. I went to the diamond mine last year with my nephew and we didn’t do so hot so I needed him to take home something this time! We sure my nephew Dylan went home with some nice trilobite material. I gave him a nice folded over greenops from DSR and my brother in law found a killer Eldredgeops at Briggs rd. So Dylan was a happy kid with some nice fossils. 

Ok time to show pictures. Trying to find a way to streamline this process lol. 

First Saturday’s take homes

DevonianDigger

Very nice stuff Al, very nice. Hopefully we have as decent of luck later this month!

DevonianDigger

I can't wait to fill my bucket with those awesome bivalves! For some reason I will never fully understand, I left all of the ones I collected last year at the site or gave them to other people. I only brought home two for myself. Not this year! ...not this year...

Al Tahan
5 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I can't wait to fill my bucket with those awesome bivalves! For some reason I will never fully understand, I left all of the ones I collected last year at the site or gave them to other people. I only brought home two for myself. Not this year! ...not this year...

Hah omg there is so many all over the place right now!! Although I’m kinda a trilobite hoarder I do appreciate a good brach or bivalve. Especially the DSR bivalves!

DevonianDigger
1 minute ago, Al Tahan said:

Hah omg there is so many all over the place right now!! Although I’m kinda a trilobite hoarder I do appreciate a good brach or bivalve. Especially the DSR bivalves!

I am definitely a bug guy as well, but I am an equal-opportunity fossil hoarder, lol!

Fossildude19

Nice report and finds, Al. :) 

FossilDAWG

Sweet finds, especially that double Eldredgeops:wub:

Don

DeepTimeIsotopes

Very nice report! I always think the trilobites with huge glabellas are so interesting looking.:wub:

DanKurek

Nice work! Some really nice trilos :trilowalk:

Al Dente
10 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

A5C45B5D-7435-4B3B-BE4C-37AABC1F09AB.thumb.jpeg.1642054a0c66831c28ad45bca5bcccf6.jpeg

I have never seen an inarticulate brachiopod this big before.....just insane.

I think you are right about this being an articulate brachiopod, but there is a possibility it is a fish scale.

C6800418-9568-47DD-8FF7-617B1138499C.jpeg

Nimravis

Great finds and trip report Al.

Monica

Beautiful finds, as usual, Al!  That inarticulate brachiopod (or fish scale) is HUGE!!!  WOW!!!  :envy:

Fossildude19

@Al Tahan

I think Al Dente is correct.  :blink:  That does look like a fish scale.

Possibly a rhizodont. It might be worth while to contact Ted Daeschler about this. 

It could be scientifically important.  :o

A5C45B5D-7435-4B3B-BE4C-37AABC1F09AB.thumb.jpeg.1642054a0c66831c28ad45bca5bcccf6.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad

Lovely finds, great success at each location. :)

That brachiopod / fish scale is very, very interesting. 

Al Tahan
9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Sweet finds, especially that double Eldredgeops:wub:

Don

I thought it was an awesome find. I was jealous it wasn’t me that found it but I was happy my nephew had a nice fossil to be excited about. It’s actually the fossil with the negative...the pic gives off the illusion of a double. 

Al Tahan
4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think you are right about this being an articulate brachiopod, but there is a possibility it is a fish scale.

C6800418-9568-47DD-8FF7-617B1138499C.jpeg

Hey that just may be a scale! Interesting observation. Thank you!

Al Tahan
57 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

@Al Tahan

I think Al Dente is correct.  :blink:  That does look like a fish scale.

Possibly a rhizodont. It might be worth while to contact Ted Daeschler about this. 

It could be scientifically important.  :o

I had no idea fish scales were possible. It does seem to fit a scale better than an inarticulate brachiopod. They are usually tiny. This is very large. Is Ted on the forum? Or is he with a university that I can get an email? I’m interested in what he thinks. 

Fossildude19
7 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

I had no idea fish scales were possible. It does seem to fit a scale better than an inarticulate brachiopod. They are usually tiny. This is very large. Is Ted on the forum? Or is he with a university that I can get an email? I’m interested in what he thinks. 

Click the blue link, my friend. ;) 

Al Tahan

@Fossildude19 wow...ha...thanks Tim