Onnia prep

DevonianDigger

Very nice so far! The coloration gives it a unique quality.:wub:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

You’re doing well, my friend. I’m cheering you on from afar. :):dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like hard material to prep. 

Well done, Jay!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Bummer he doesn't have his genal spines, and that he has some odd coloration

One could say this about many many fossils.  You can only do with what mother nature gives you.  Id say you did purty dang good with what she gave you. 

RB

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. 

The matrix on this piece was indeed very hard. I did the entire prep with my CP clone. It was all about the angles. Unfortunately, nothing I could throw at it from my blaster was making a dent in the matrix in the details, so it was basically just whatever I could do with the scribe and nothing more. I didn't want to try aluminum oxide because I didn't want to do any unnecessary damage, but neither dolomite nor bicarb was making the least difference. The bicarb did at least give it a nice polish without having to use any chemicals. Overall, it was a slow but relatively painless prep. (Aside from my hand, which definitely was getting fatigued from the vibrations from the scribe on the hard matrix.)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100% on the origin of this piece, (Morocco, I believe, but the exact location is not known.) If anyone happens to know where I might be able to get more in this matrix, I would love to try and buy some additional pieces. Even though it was a bit of a slog, I actually really enjoyed this prep, and would love to do some more. I would be open to others than just Onnia as well. I'm curious to try a few more hard-matrix preps to continue to hone my skills.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

7 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I'm not 100% on the origin of this piece, (Morocco, I believe, but the exact location is not known.) If anyone happens to know where I might be able to get more in this matrix, I would love to try and buy some additional pieces. Even though it was a bit of a slog, I actually really enjoyed this prep, and would love to do some more. I would be open to others than just Onnia as well. I'm curious to try a few more hard-matrix preps to continue to hone my skills.

I've not had the agonizing joy of working with this matrix yet, but I do sometimes see unprepared stuff for sale (most times at par with what one can get fully prepared, sadly). If I get a lead, I'll let you know via PM. An extra pair of eyes can't hurt. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

I've not had the agonizing joy of working with this matrix yet, but I do sometimes see unprepared stuff for sale (most times at par with what one can get fully prepared, sadly). If I get a lead, I'll let you know via PM. An extra pair of eyes can't hurt. :) 

Very much appreciated! Once I get the S.S. White up and running I'm going to try and tackle a spiny, but until then I'm just looking to get my hands on anything I can. Might have to bug our Moroccan friend @Tidgy's Dad at some point to see if I can send him some money to go shopping for me!

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA