Echinoid id

MrBones

Hello again, here is my most beautiful sand dollar fossil. We picked it up yesterday on a beach close to Ruwais, Abu Dhabi, UAE.

I have found dozens of these, but rarely find one so flat. I would love to know the species name if possible.IMG-20190404-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.ea975b3319c5f8e70eecf4c4784ac17e.jpeg20190404_172045.thumb.jpg.81d03597f7cbb26eb5e05e347ad98295.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Plax said:

Try googling Melitta or Encope.

I don't think it is one of these, I can see only two of the groves/holes  present on my fossil. It still could be one of these if the fossil has been severly damaged or worn.

19 minutes ago, Plax said:

age?

I am not sure, the beach is man made and I do not know where they got the material. It might be about 5 million years, but I am unsure.

15 minutes ago, Plax said:

I suggest you do some googling such as "Pliocene Echinoids, Arabian Peninsula". I came up with this paper:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02988814

8 minutes ago, Plax said:

I will have a look at these sites. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get information of fossils and geology in my town and region. But I think I referenced a helpful site in one of my older posts, I will search for it.

Hi,

I can't help you.This sea urchin isn't complete, it is missing parts on its edges. We only see one lunule (at the top of the picture) but I think it had several. The ideal would be to find a more complete specimen to get an idea of the shape of its contour.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

I think Echinodiscus desori from miocene

These look very similar!

I think the fossils are from Miocene to Pliocene. Here are some similar fossils I have found in the same area.20190405_141041.thumb.jpg.5dddb73d953182f6f149e429dc32505e.jpg