Chimaera dental plate?

sjaak

Could this be a chimaera or rather Ischyodus dental plate? 

Upper Jurassic of Boulonnais, North of France.

2019-04-04 12.45.42.jpg

2019-04-04 12.46.05.jpg

2019-04-04 12.46.32.jpg

2019-04-04 12.46.54.jpg

2019-04-04 12.47.14.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you very much for your reactions and confirmation. The jaw is rather big indeed. I always have difficulty visualizing how these jaw plates fit in a chimaera and how they were used. 

There appears to be a tiny tooth on the jaw, which you can see on the last picture. Does this fit with cimaera? Or could it be a loose tooth from another fish? 

12 hours ago, sjaak said:

I always have difficulty visualizing how these jaw plates fit in a chimaera and how they were used.

Check out the short video at the below link.  It will help you to visualize how the jaw plates fit together in a chimaera.

https://experiment.com/projects/tooth-plates-in-chimaeras-and-their-relationship-to-teeth-in-sharks

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 4/5/2019 at 3:10 PM, MarcoSr said:

Check out the short video at the below link.  It will help you to visualize how the jaw plates fit together in a chimaera.

https://experiment.com/projects/tooth-plates-in-chimaeras-and-their-relationship-to-teeth-in-sharks

Marco Sr.

That video was FANTASTIC! I also didn't have a great hold on how their dentition worked. Thanks for sharing that!