AJ58

This species of Gastropod seems different than the other Ordovician Snails I have found.It appears to spiral backwards.Can someone name this species and is it common?

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

Sinestral gastropods are not terribly rare, but are very cool, in my opinion. :) 
Where was this found? Do you know the age of the sediments? 

Possibly some species of Planorbis?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I looked at Planobis and it seems to be the right species they even talk about the backwards spiral but not the same period.

Planorbis is unlikely since it is first reported from the Jurassic. Also, the shell and sediment look too hard and old to be a recent addition of a recent shell to the gravel. 

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 7 months later...

Straparollus (euompalus) might be a possibility. I have those amd lecanospira and I'd  lean more to the first. I could be wrong. Im not very familiar with them.

• 1 year later...

Very curious. The whorl cross-section does seem to be too circular for Lecanospira, and maybe even too circular for Straparollus, but I'm unaware of any other left-handed gastropod in rocks of that area/age. Presumably the "Smithville" part of the Powell Dolostone, given the preservation? Wise et al. (1975) list various gastropods in "Smithville" faunas of the area but note no left-handed forms. If Ellis Yochelson were still around, he would love to see this specimen :)

Wise et al. (1975) starts on p. 38 here:

https://www.geology.arkansas.gov/docs/pdf/publication/miscellaneous_pubs/MP-12-Con-Geo-Ozarks.pdf