aplomado

Legality of collecting fossils in creeks in Alabama

aplomado

Is it legal to collect fossils from creek beds that run through private property (owner unknown) if accessed from public property?

It is my understanding that creek beds are owned by the state (correct me if I am wrong)... does that mean collecting from these locations is OK?

DevonianDigger

Indeed, I would hope that goes without saying. I just shared what I found regarding the subject, but I am not a lawyer and don't even live in Alabama.

Fossildude19

But , ... do you play one on TV???  ;) 

No worries, Jay. 

DevonianDigger
2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

But , ... do you play one on TV???  ;) 

No worries, Jay. 

No, usually I'm the guy being defended by the lawyer on TV...

Tidgy's Dad

I have actually portrayed Atticus Finch, who was a lawyer from Alabama, on stage and therefore feel I am more than qualified to comment. 

Kane
11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I have actually portrayed Atticus Finch, who was a lawyer from Alabama, on stage and therefore feel I am more than qualified to comment. 

I happen to share a birthday with Gregory Peck (but sadly lack his dashing good looks!). What an inspired and profound novel, and one that we read in grade school. Thanks for the reference and the reminiscence. :)

Tidgy's Dad
1 minute ago, Kane said:

I happen to share a birthday with Gregory Peck (but sadly lack his dashing good looks!). What an inspired and profound novel, and one that we read in grade school. Thanks for the reference and the reminiscence. :)

Happy to oblige.

And i am certainly not saying that i share his dashing good looks or his acting qualities, (hmm) 

But it is a brilliant read. 

indeed, anyone who hasn't read 'To Kill A Mockingbird", please do so at once.

You won't regret it. 

DPS Ammonite

@Tidgy's Dad Since we have already gone from fossil collecting laws to Kill a Mockingbird, let’s go a little further. In the US, the schools have us read lots of UK area authors such as Shakespeare and Chaucer. In the UK, what US authors are required reading in the schools?

Tidgy's Dad
1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Tidgy's Dad Since we have already gone from fossil collecting laws to Kill a Mockingbird, let’s go a little further. In the US, the schools have us read lots of UK area authors such as Shakespeare and Chaucer. In the UK, what US authors are required reading in the schools?

When I did my Eng. Lit. 'O' level (sort of 14 to 16 years ols) there were none. 

'A' level (17 to 18) did include "The Great Gatsby" "Death of a Salesman", " A Streetcar Named Desire" and several others on the reading list. 

I was busy reading Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, August Derleth and Robert Bloch, myself! :D

Kane
6 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I can speak for Canada. In terms of US authors, I recall us reading Harper Lee, John Howard Griffin (Black Like Me), and John Steinbeck. On my own, I appreciated the works of Sinclair Lewis, Charles Bukowski, William Burroughs, and especially William H. Gass and John Barth (have read every published word!). The last two were more akin to my love of continental Euro lit, but I adore the metafiction work of Jorge Luis Borges (@digit can confirm that recommendation). Contemporary UK authors... hm... Will Self (in his pre-fame days) is fabulous, but too risque for school curricula. Great Apes is a must-read by him. 

Tidgy's Dad
1 minute ago, Kane said:

I can speak for Canada. In terms of US authors, I recall us reading Harper Lee, John Howard Griffin (Black Like Me), and John Steinbeck. On my own, I appreciated the works of Sinclair Lewis, Charles Bukowski, William Burroughs, and especially William H. Gass and John Barth (have read every published word!). The last two were more akin to my love of continental Euro lit, but I adore the metafiction work of Jorge Luis Borges (@digit can confirm that recommendation). Contemporary UK authors... hm... Will Self (in his pre-fame days) is fabulous, but too risque for school curricula. Great Apes is a must-read by him. 

I did enjoy "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel . 

I think your choices are interesting, though i've only read one by Barth and nothing by Gass , a few shorts by Lewis i'm sorry to say, though i have read a bit of Bukowski whom i quite like. What a shame Harper Lee was a one hit wonder. Will Self is hilarious and brilliant. 

DPS Ammonite

On TFF, I always enjoy learning about what people from other countries think about or appreciate about the US (such as books). I enjoy learning about things through other’s eyes. I hope that World realizes that the US is much more than John Wayne, McDonalds or whomever the current leader is. 

Kane
6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I did enjoy "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel . 

I think your choices are interesting, though i've only read one by Barth and nothing by Gass , a few shorts by Lewis i'm sorry to say, though i have read a bit of Bukowski whom i quite like. What a shame Harper Lee was a one hit wonder. Will Self is hilarious and brilliant. 

Barth is quite good. His Giles Goat Boy is a fantastically wry satire, as is his Sot-Weed Factor. Gass’ best is his enormous tome, The Tunnel, which is about a scholar writing an intro to his book about WWII that expands beyond the actual book into a violent introspection while he digs a tunnel out of his basement! His phrasing is quite clever and memorable.

Bukowski was at his best before the fame crippled his authenticity. I suppose the same can be said of Self. Some years ago, I was put in charge of running the lit programming for an arts festival and very nearly got him to agree to come and give a reading. No dice, though. His short stories are fantastic (and the recurring characters like Zach Busner are an Easter egg to his more loyal readers). How the Dead Live, The Book of Dave, are well kitted together. His more recent offerings like Liver, and the ones about the smoking and umbrellas feel like pretentious nods to postmodern lit without the substance. :( He was a huge fan of J.G. Ballard and spent some time with him in the years before died. That must have been an odd pairing... Self is a lanky 6’7” ex-junkie!

Kane
27 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

On TFF, I always enjoy learning about what people from other countries think about or appreciate about the US (such as books). I enjoy learning about things through other’s eyes. I hope that World realizes that the US is much more than John Wayne, McDonalds or whomever the current leader is. 

Just as we are more than igloos and hockey. :D Arguably, we may know US history better than it is taught in US schools. I can name every President and their policies without Wikipedia. Can the same be said about naming our Prime Ministers? Heck, I can quote from the Federalist Papers and know it was once floated to make George Washington an emperor! Or the tracing of the Declaration to where it was cribbed from the works of Rousseau, Montesquieu, Bayle et al., mostly to enshrine private property rights. :P Our history and geography curriculum takes a whole world approach. 

DPS Ammonite
27 minutes ago, Kane said:

Arguably, we may know US history better than it is taught in US schools. I can name every President and their policies without Wikipedia. Can the same be said about naming our Prime Ministers? 

Prime Ministers? We only keep track of the Queen of Canada and the next probable King, Charles. ^_^

Thanks to the Canadian snowbirds here in the Phoenix area we have lots of reminders of what the Queen and past King look like: they leave lots of Canadian coins behind. 

Talking about Canada and Canadians, your weather must be awful part of the year, more and more of the migrating Canadian Geese have decided to take up year round residency. The especially like the year-round grass in the golf courses.

Kane
8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Prime Ministers? We only keep track of the Queen of Canada and the next probable King, Charles. ^_^

Thanks to the Canadian snowbirds here in the Phoenix area we have lots of reminders of what the Queen and past King look like: they leave lots of Canadian coins behind. 

Talking about Canada and Canadians, your weather must be awful part of the year, more and more of the migrating Canadian Geese have decided to take up year round residency. The especially like the year-round grass in the golf courses.

Lol. Yes, we have figurehead grandma on our money. Interestingly enough, the US is far more fascinated by the royals than Canadians, and even the British! More Americans go see royal events like weddings than the British do.

Weather-wise, I have pretty much the identical weather to Detroit, which is roughly the same latitude. Those in northern Michigan have it far worse! 

And only some of the geese. Half of them stay here to torment us. My uni is smack dab in their nesting area. They can be aggressive, but here’s a tip: stare them in the eye. The male will back down if you maintain eye contact.

DPS Ammonite
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

And only some of the geese. Half of them stay here to torment us. My uni is smack dab in their nesting area. They can be aggressive, but here’s a tip: stare them in the eye. The male will back down if you maintain eye contact.

Thankfully our Canadians aren’t that aggressive. We don’t have to stare them .... I mean the birds... in the eye.

Kane
Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Thankfully our Canadians aren’t that aggressive. We don’t have to stare them .... I mean the birds... in the eye.

They probably mellow out on the way over. They don’t have to deal with Homeland Security. :D

Tidgy's Dad

I doubt there are many people who can name the last three kings of Morocco. 

Even in Morocco. 

doushantuo

Elmo,Ziggy,Montague.

In no particular order

Edit: Ziggy the Second,I hasten to add

DevonianDigger

Well... if this hasn't been hijacked, I don't think one ever has been... Such an amusing departure from the bland legalities of fossil collecting, lol! Nicely done all! :default_rofl:

steelhead9
9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

When I did my Eng. Lit. 'O' level (sort of 14 to 16 years ols) there were none. 

'A' level (17 to 18) did include "The Great Gatsby" "Death of a Salesman", " A Streetcar Named Desire" and several others on the reading list. 

I was busy reading Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, August Derleth and Robert Bloch, myself! :D

Now that last group of author's should definitely be required reading for developing young minds!

FossilDAWG
1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Well... if this hasn't been hijacked, I don't think one ever has been... Such an amusing departure from the bland legalities of fossil collecting, lol! Nicely done all! :default_rofl:

:D

Anyway, my understanding is that non-navigable waterways in Alabama are not owned by the state, they are private property.  There are some rights of access for fishing, but I'm not clear what those rights entail.  However I am not a lawyer, nor am I versed in the intricacies of property law.  Also, I have been told that technically there are strict laws against removing anything from state-owned waterways, though I am not aware of any enforcement of those laws.

Don