fossilsonwheels

I do not think I will be able to get much help based on the pictures but I thought I would try.Listed for sale as a Raptor tooth. Most of the Kem Kem teeth I see listed a raptor or Dromaeosaur are better fits for Abelisaur indet teeth. This one looks a little different to me so I thought I would run it by the sharp minds here.

This is a small theropod tooth from the Kem Kem beds. I does not look like a Carch so I feel good eliminating that one. Its a little over half an inch long. It does appear that there is a difference in serration size but that could be my eyes seeing what they want to see. The seller did attempt to take better pictures but this is as good as it is going to get I think. Again, it looks different from Abelisaurid teeth I have seen but I am pretty limited in my ID skills. It is a pretty nice tooth either way.

Any opinions ?

kemkemtooth.jpg

kemkemtooth1.jpg

All you can say about this tooth is " Theropod indet. "   Not a Abelisaurid and dont believe  its a Carcharodontosaurid but would have to have a closer look at serrations .

Nice tooth is right.

• I found this Informative 1

Maybe this might help. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

39 minutes ago, Troodon said:

All you can say about this tooth is " Theropod indet. "   Not a Abelisaurid and dont believe  its a Carcharodontosaurid but would have to have a closer look at serrations .

Nice tooth is right.

That is what I wanted to hear and what I thought. I agree. It is a really nice tooth. Perhaps one of those that is worth grabbing and figuring out what it is in hand ! Thanks again @Troodon

37 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Maybe this might help. 

I had seen that post previously and it is helpful. Thanks for posting that to this thread. We wont know unless I get it in hand and post more details and pictures here.

12 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

That is what I wanted to hear and what I thought. I agree. It is a really nice tooth. Perhaps one of those that is worth grabbing and figuring out what it is in hand ! Thanks again @Troodon

If you do get the tooth that would be super and we can do a multivariate analysis on it to TRY to get close to an ID.

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

If you do get the tooth that would be super and we can do a multivariate analysis on it to TRY to get close to an ID.

I am leaning heavily towards getting it. Very heavily :) That idea only encourages my notion to get it lol

3 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I am leaning heavily towards getting it. Very heavily :) That idea only encourages my notion to get it lol

It does look like a nice tooth. Though it should probably be priced as an unidentified tooth.

I will say that having an unidentified tooth can be just as interesting to learn about as an identified one with a name. It could serve as a nice example that we really only know so much about dinosaurs and that there is still so much to be discovered.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

@Troodon  I got the tooth and they knocked a little off the price too ! It is shipping on Monday so when it gets we can start working on the analysis. That will actually make for an interesting thing to present to students too.

Just now, LordTrilobite said:

It does look like a nice tooth. Though it should probably be priced as an unidentified tooth.

I will say that having an unidentified tooth can be just as interesting to learn about as an identified one with a name. It could serve as a nice example that we really only know so much about dinosaurs and that there is still so much to be discovered.

I agree. I also think this is a great teaching opportunity for students too. @Troodon is willing to help me do an analysis of the tooth so i will be able to pass that on to the kids. I got it a pretty good price. The seller discounted it a bit so no complaints there.

I do not mind unidentified teeth at all. It is part of the fun !

@Troodon Never mind. They sold it to somebody else :( Easy come easy go I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thats a shame but the Kem Kem has tons of teeth for sale so just wait a bit. 

Exactly. I am not too worried. Besides our Jurassic sauropod bones arrived today and they are beautiful :)