Therapod teeth from the Lourhina

Pterygotus

Could someone please ID these therapod teeth from the Lourhina formation? All are kimmeridgian and around 2cm. No. 2 is described as allosaurid, lourhinasaurus?

EA3DFDEE-CF28-4CB6-B4CC-FA936F26F567.jpeg

81F1ADB2-CF59-4B15-B466-2EA07CA7EA90.jpeg

A11ED93B-DE0D-4F31-97A1-6D4C9EB38C5F.jpeg

Would need a serration count for all these teeth on both sides in order to get an ID but that’s not necessarily conclusive. Teeth from theropods of the late Jurassic are hard to ID

• I found this Informative 1

Identification of isolated theropod teeth from this fauna off of photos is nearly impossible.  If you like these teeth I would suggest you purchase them has " theropod indet."   A multivariate analysis can be done to TRY to get closer to what group of dinosaur its from, no guarantee .   You will need  to provide closeup images of all sides, serration count of both carinae and dimensions of base and height.

There are well over a dozen morph types and many are very similar why its so difficult.  Dont get hung up on the name especially if the provenance is solid since very few teeth can be assigned to a family or genus.

• I found this Informative 4

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

Identification of isolated theropod teeth from this fauna off of photos is nearly impossible.  If you like these teeth I would suggest you purchase them has " theropod indet."   A multivariate analysis can be done to TRY to get closer to what group of dinosaur its from, no guarantee .   You will need  to provide closeup images of all sides, serration count of both carinae and dimensions of base and height.

There are well over a dozen morph types and many are very similar why its so difficult.  Dont get hung up on the name especially if the provenance is solid since very few teeth can be assigned to a family or genus.

11 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Would need a serration count for all these teeth on both sides in order to get an ID but that’s not necessarily conclusive. Teeth from theropods of the late Jurassic are hard to ID

Do these help?

The matrix free tooth might be identifiable but the one in matrix is not so well preserved.

1 hour ago, Pterygotus said:

Do these help?

No  and loooking closer at the one off matrix the mesial edge appears to be missing.  That will make identification very difficult.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

No  and loooking closer at the one off matrix the mesial edge appears to be missing.  That will make identification very difficult.

No. 2?

You have to assume that the best ID you will have on these two teeth is Theropod indet.   Thats typical for most small theropod teeth in this fauna.  So your decision should be based on that.   There is nothing wrong or improper with that identification.

• I found this Informative 2

On 06/04/2019 at 10:50 AM, fossil_sea_urchin said:

The matrix free tooth might be identifiable but the one in matrix is not so well preserved.

Which one in the matrix?

On 4/6/2019 at 8:56 PM, Troodon said:

You have to assume that the best ID you will have on these two teeth is Theropod indet.   Thats typical for most small theropod teeth in this fauna.  So your decision should be based on that.   There is nothing wrong or improper with that identification.

if i bought them and did the serration count? which one would be easier to ID? (out of the first two)

3 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

if i bought them and did the serration count? which one would be easier to ID? (out of the first two)

Good both are hard.   Serration count is just the start.  Need the width and length at the base and a photo of the mesial carinae.   Also height of tooth.

81F1ADB2-CF59-4B15-B466-2EA07CA7EA90.thumb.jpeg.c7baef2ce1aaf10275b2cabb1484d382.jpeg.6d52c2a55145814cc673a5848c91cad9.jpeg

Just now, Pterygotus said:

and yes i think the mesial edge is missing.04-b05-DSC_3843%20c%C3%B3pia.jpg

it was ID'd as allosaurus sp or allosaurid 

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Good both are hard.   Serration count is just the start.  Need the width and length at the base and a photo of the mesial carinae.   Also height of tooth.

81F1ADB2-CF59-4B15-B466-2EA07CA7EA90.thumb.jpeg.c7baef2ce1aaf10275b2cabb1484d382.jpeg.6d52c2a55145814cc673a5848c91cad9.jpeg

it measures 22.24mm x 12.02mm x 5.23mm. 

2 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

it was ID'd as allosaurus sp or allosaurid 

Cannot assumed the ID is right though.  Without a serration count, serration shape, etc., no ID can be attributed to it at this time.

do you have a serration count of the distal edge on the one missing the outside carina

5 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

the one in the matrix measures 17.25mm x 9.08mm

is this the base dimensions?   serration count?

On 14/04/2019 at 6:42 PM, Troodon said:

do you have a serration count of the distal edge on the one missing the outside carina

I said I haven’t bought them yet. I think the one in the matrix looks nice but depends. 

On 14/04/2019 at 6:42 PM, Troodon said:

I don’t think it’s base dimensions as half the tooth is in matrix. I think the first measurement is the length and the second is it’s width or other side.