Tim78

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and have joined to learn more about some of the fossils i have been finding since i was a kid. I live in  Molong, NSW Australia, an area that is rich in limestone (Molong being the Aboriginal word for "place of many rocks"). Lately ive found some specimens for my kids who want to know what they are. Im not sure of the age of this stone. Im attaching some pics of some of the specimens we found, and hopefully shed some light on what and maybe how old they are. Any advise or answers would be great

Cheers

Tim

The first 4 are Crinoid stem segments. As to age, I'm not sure, but someone here will. 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The larger structure in the top two photos is a holdfast (anchoring) from a crinoid.

The last one could be also. There is a chance that it may be poorly preserved tabulate coral though.

Thanks also Rockwood. Its so fasinating finding out what is what. I really would like to learn more as it has always fasinated me and now ive found a great place to start. Cheers guys

Ive also found out that the rock from the area these were found dates to the Silurian period.

• I found this Informative 1

@Tim78

G'day Tim!

I have never done much fossiling around Molong but I believe the fossils are from the Garra formation, early devonian in age and covers part of the Molong District.

Hope this helps,

Dan

@DanKurek

Thanks for that mate. I didnt realise areas are grouped as formations. Does that derive from rock age or just areas of locality? There is plenty of limestone outcrops out this way, Cargo, Cudal, Borenore Karsk Reserve ect. I assumed they would be all linked and from the same period.

Cheers

Tim

@Tim78 Hello again! 

Areas aren't usually grouped as formations, it is the exposures (Such as cliffs, road cuttings, etc) In the area that are grouped as formations. It turns out that the fossils you found are not from the Garra Formation, (which is actually an hour from Molong.....my bad) and are actually from the Molong Limestone Formation, which is probably where you found your fossils. Exposures of the Molong Limestone extend all the way to Borenore and many echinoderm and trilobite fossils can be found in it. I also did some research on the geological rock age and most towns surrounding Molong (Such as Cudal and Cargo) are of similar age (Silurian to Devonian). I am not so sure about whether exposures of the Molong Limestone extend out to Cudal and Cargo but it is possible. 

Hope this helps,

Dan

48 minutes ago, Tim78 said:

Does that derive from rock age or just areas of locality?

Age and to some degree means of deposition I think. The locality can cover hundreds of miles and need not be contiguous today.