Rhinocephalus planiceps skull for trade

Strepsodus

I bought this fish skull a while ago.  It is Eocene aged, from the London clay of the Isle of Sheppey, UK.  Although this is perhaps one of the rarest fossils in my collection, I don’t collect in the London clay often and I much more frequently collect in the Coal Measures.  I have therefore decided to trade this skull for something from the Upper Carboniferous.  As far as I can tell, this skull is from Rhinocephalus planiceps and everything looks 100% genuine.  I bought it from a very well known fossil dealer, who I will provide the name of to whoever I trade it with.  If you have anything to trade, please let me know.  I am most interested in Arthropods and fish from the British Coal Measures and Mazon Creek fossils, but I would consider any fossils from the upper Carboniferous.

Thanks,

Daniel

Oh man, if I had good Carboniferous material I would've jumped on this trade! Whoever obtains this skull will be a happy man (or woman)!

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Same here nothing Carboniferous... 

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Due to the rarity of this fossil, I have decided to donate it to a museum.

• I found this Informative 12

8 minutes ago, Strepsodus said:

Good choice!

Awesome decision! Very cool donation. You should go to the Partners in Paleontology thread and claim your badge there. Definitely a sweet and badge-worthy donation!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 months later...
On 08/04/2019 at 4:43 PM, Strepsodus said:

I wish I had seen this post sooner. Would have loved to add this to my collection of London clay fishes. Unfortunately the NHM does not display its collection from Sheppey which is a massive shame because it would probably make quite a nice display. 

I am hoping one day to amass a collection worthy of displaying locally on the Isle of Sheppey to showcase the exquisit fossil history of the Island and other London Clay locations.

So far I have around 10 fish specimens, a few lobsters, many crabs, some fine nautilus, partial turtle remainns, too many teeth to count and many other bits and pieces.

Sounds like you need to campaign your community for funds to open your own local museum. :thumbsu: