Fossil wood?

Notidanodon

Hi guys:)I found this on the beach next to the early Eocene of the London clay at warden point at the isle of sheppey, is it just some mineral or is it a fossil ? Thanks (scale is 1cm cube)

AC6373DE-0583-4220-81FE-E03A0072CBE4.jpeg

55315390-9A97-40B9-AD91-2984CA6222C5.jpeg

14 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am not positive, but will call it a mineral.

Doesn't look quite right for petrified wood to Me.

I wasn’t quite sure either

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

More phtos

9BA2FAC5-3186-43A9-B28E-D778D01EF448.jpeg

4A4F8F3C-B74C-467D-A1D0-9504D96ADE2E.jpeg

Hi, is there any chance you would post a photo of each of these two faces zoomed in a bit more? It may just be my browser but each one is just a little out of focus (as if the camera focused on the carpet or your finger instead of the specimen).

Maybe some indirect light outside (in the shade) if it is a sunny day would bring out more details. I sort of think 'palm or fern tree' when I see this. Yet, I'd like to see if the features I expect are continuous from one side to another, etc.

Thanks, Kato

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Teredo borings in wood I think.

Without more detailed pics the best I was going to postulate was palm or cycad adventitious roots. I think if this is wood of some type, due to the size, Will should be able to find more specimens in the same area.

• I found this Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Kato said:

Hi, is there any chance you would post a photo of each of these two faces zoomed in a bit more? It may just be my browser but each one is just a little out of focus (as if the camera focused on the carpet or your finger instead of the specimen).

Maybe some indirect light outside (in the shade) if it is a sunny day would bring out more details. I sort of think 'palm or fern tree' when I see this. Yet, I'd like to see if the features I expect are continuous from one side to another, etc.

Thanks, Kato

I can try here we go these are the highest res that will fit into the allowed storage:)

73A9CAC2-6633-4D0B-8997-9F416805CB3B.jpeg

On the topic of wood someone gave this to me with no information is it wood because it seems to have rings?

E0BE9AEF-695C-4FA3-ABDD-FA70EBBD420C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

I can try here we go these are the highest res that will fit into the allowed storage:)

73A9CAC2-6633-4D0B-8997-9F416805CB3B.jpeg

Would you be able to fill the view finder and get an in-focus shot like this of both sides?

image.png.eb2e27e601da80abdc1df9f54aed3096.png

6 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

D8AE542B-F1F8-44A1-8F03-4307BCA0D5D3.jpeg

Also, views of the top and bottom (one side circled in red here) would be awesome.

image.png.b7ffb7cb7479a2ba83dfe5e030ebcf13.png

10 minutes ago, Kato said:

I think if this is wood of some type, due to the size, Will should be able to find more specimens in the same area.

Wood does tend to be absent or common.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Wood does tend to be absent or common.

I did find a lot of pyritized wood there and several big pieces but nothing that looked like this take in mind there was a lot of phosphatic minerals in the area so this could have been mineralised with phosphate not pyrite?:)

1 minute ago, will stevenson said:

Close ups can’t get more focus:(

02A1EF12-765A-46C2-8638-EEA2D1B0FF1B.jpeg

66D840D8-E302-45A4-8DE1-B00F1BF26886.jpeg

C85C0FF4-B3DF-443A-8B38-C70D88AE8578.jpeg

haha...perhaps not quite as close...just need to get closer than your originals and be in-focus. 

21 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

On the topic of wood someone gave this to me with no information is it wood because it seems to have rings?

E0BE9AEF-695C-4FA3-ABDD-FA70EBBD420C.jpeg

I'm leaning towards "yes". Easiest way to tell is to examine it under 10x or better magnification. If it's wood you will see cell structure. 

On the other specimen you could polish a small area of one of the ends and do the same.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

28D44E0D-E5FD-463C-B811-85D5A7FC8CB9.jpeg

3025FD9F-C76C-463A-8B9B-7D1D1F1D000F.jpeg

I'll stick to my postulation of palm or cycad adventitious roots showing (dark circular objects). Hopefully, someone like @Plantguy will come along to make a more informed opinion than mine.

Also, if you could nail down the name of the actual formation this specimen came from and location it would be helpful to a regional member.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm leaning towards "yes". Easiest way to tell if is to examine it under 10x or better magnification. If it's wood you will see cell structure. 

I believe so as well.

8 minutes ago, Kato said:

I'll stick to my postulation of palm or cycad adventitious roots showing (dark circular objects). Hopefully, someone like @Plantguy will come along to make a more informed opinion than mine.

Also, if you could nail down the name of the actual formation this specimen came from and location it would be helpful to a regional member.

Unfortunately it was loose in the beach so the best info I can give is London clay formation

3 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

Unfortunately it was loose in the beach so the best info I can give is London clay formation

My vote is for wood.  I am not able to speculate on species.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest