Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone!

Regrettably, it has been a while since I contributed in any significant way on the forum. I’ve found myself busier than expected, and I haven’t been fossiling  as much as I’d like to. Anywho, I got out on a hunt today that was special for me.

I came to this forum two years ago. I had just been on a field trip with the same geology teacher who’d led my mother and my aunts and uncles on field trips. I had a blast and learned that fossil hunting could actually be done in Maryland by normal people, a fact which now seems so obvious to me. I had been hooked, and now I needed to identify some strange finds. So I came here, and from here I was able to learn many things from many people, and I was propelled into a world I now can hardly see myself without, the paleontological one. 

Now, two years later, I had the chance to volunteer and help out at the very same field trip with the very same teacher! Though none of the students seem to have gotten hooked quite like I did, they all took home a fossil or two, learned quite a bit, and had a good time. That was a good thing to see. 

I’ll definitely be volunteering next year!

Here’s some pictures I took of myself taking a nostalgic walk through some fossil/geological sites (privacy concerns prevent me from showing any with other people), please excuse my ineptitude at smiling for photos:

0BB5B054-E95B-42C9-92E6-1BA0F44FD780.jpeg

0C1544C6-270D-4D3C-A60E-5F341FD715D5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sideling Hill:

2649D728-C28F-407C-9896-C9BF40C50559.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Big ole spiriferid

DE995EF8-1EDF-4419-95A9-492BB4639991.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Brachiopod hinge masquerading as horns

41F546E9-A839-4BF8-903E-1946321C1BF6.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Curiosity of a fossil, methinks bivalve bit or maybe strange trilo-bit.

DC980742-6C2B-478C-9961-D25E76D12CC1.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I had a blast and learned that fossil hunting could actually be done in Maryland by normal people,

Are you insinuating paleontologists are abnormal people?! :default_rofl:

It's great to hear it coming full circle and being able to volunteer in the field trip that got this all started in the first place :).  I remember back when I first visited a local museum at my city during a 4th grade field trip, and that's when I got introduced in the natural history of PV (and the fact that there's lotsa fossils here too!) and loved it. Those museum docents were great, but I probably would not have expected that five years later I would actually be one of them. 

If there's something you're really passionate about, then volunteering in activities/programs relating to such is never regrettable. The hardest part is knowing what it is, and I guess that's where most teens of our age gets stumped.

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

We are indeed abnormal, we know too much! :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

I was thinking more along the lines of “special” or “privileged” but whatever floats your boat:)

9 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

It's great to hear it coming full circle and being able to volunteer in the field trip that got this all started in the first place :).  I remember back when I first visited a local museum at my city during a 4th grade field trip, and that's when I got introduced in the natural history of PV (and the fact that there's lotsa fossils here too!) and loved it. Those museum docents were great, but I probably would not have expected that five years later I would actually be one of them. 

If there's something you're really passionate about, then volunteering in activities/programs relating to such is never regrettable. The hardest part is knowing what it is, and I guess that's where most teens of our age gets stumped.

We are indeed abnormal, we know too much! :P

Kudos for volunteering there, maybe you can inspire someone the way you were 5 years ago! If I could get a volunteer job at a local natural history museum I’d snag it ASAP. It’s a bit far though, and they don’t seem to take on too many volunteers. Anyway, I’ve already got a docent position at a local historical site.

one can never know too much:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 4 weeks later...

Great for volunteering. 

Nice report too. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png