Strange juvenile gorgosaurus tooth

dinosaur man

On my birthday I got a juvenile gorgosaur tooth didn’t look special other then the colour but then I started to check it out and study it and instead of serrations there were small holes so I came up with a theory how juvenile tyrannosaurs didn’t have serrations until they got older yet I still need more proof to back up my theory but I found it interesting it was collected on a ranch in the Judith River formation not to far from the Canadian border it is 75 million years old here are some photos of it.

3CBDEC97-2977-462F-9398-6EEF3FF55ED0.jpeg

C2B46778-A415-49F2-BEA4-6473C6D857DA.jpeg

Edited by dinosaur man

The serrations are missing because the tooth is simply very worn.. Serrations are present in very small Tyrannosaurid teeth.   Where was this tooth found?   Tyrannosaurid teeth from the Judith River  Formation of Montana cannot be distinguished between one another.  They can be either Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus 

• I found this Informative 1

I can tell it’s a gorgosaur because the cross section the tooth is also 2 cm 

Edited by dinosaur man

The shape of the cross-section of the tooth at the base is more a function of the tooth position in the jaw and not an indicator of species.   Juvenile campanian tyrannosaurid teeth cannot be distinguished between one another.  A paper that explored the difference between small Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus came to this conclusion :

"In summary, although the teeth of tyrannosaurid dinosaurs must belong to one of five types based on position of teeth in the bones of the jaws, it is difficult to quantifiably distinguish these teeth reliably by taxon. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261630184_Morphometry_of_the_teeth_of_western_North_American_tyrannosaurids_and_its_applicability_to_quantitative_classification

• I found this Informative 2

What type of tyrannosaur tooth is this it’s 75 million years old and is from the Judith River formation it’s from a juvenile and is 2cm?

6269E345-1DDB-4A8B-A908-0CB62DFD3E9C.jpeg

A3E26D83-DB8F-4577-9A69-8CA66223CEB6.jpeg

Troodon's guide should still work for Judith.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

You will probably find it is Tyrannosaur indet. You can not distinguish the small Tyrannosaur teeth from Judith River or at least that is what I understand.

If it's from JRF then you could label it as 'Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus sp.'

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Why is this being reposted the answer does not change

You say its from the JRF but is it not a Canadian tooth or one from Montana?

Topic moved to Fossil ID, and merged with previous post. 
@dinosaur man

Please do not post the same fossil multiple times. 

You have already received the best answer possible. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have one more it’s from North Shore Drive Lowbanks Dunnville Ontario it’s from the Devonian period sorry it’s not sharp thats the best I could takeD0E1780B-6410-4F79-9105-2710668506EB.thumb.jpeg.3e3c1a1c908a978af1ae8483a144385b.jpeg

495D042A-944A-4F6E-AF84-AFA6343D171C.jpeg

troodon i think its from canada or the more northen parts of montana but prety sure southern alberta

a little bit of the Judith river formation is in Canada not much if you were to drive it it would only be about 15 minutes till the Judith river formation ends

Just for your info here are the formation designation in Alberta.   Judith River Fm is now only used for Montana and Belly River Group for Canada and comprises the Oldman, Dinosaur Park and Foremost Fm

Screenshot_20190406-191847.thumb.jpg.107054fdfd54125ded0c6a0c1336d7fc.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Then it’s from Canada