Tiny theropod tooth ID

DatFossilBoy

Hey guys.

I purchased this very small serrated theropod tooth from Hell Creek, USA.

It is serrated on both edges and complete so I was wondering if it would be possible to give an ID on this tooth.

It is 0,6cm on the largest end and 0,5cm on the smallest.

Serration count on the smallest end is around 29-31 per 0,5cm. The long end serrations are a little worn to tell for sure.

Thanks for the help and input :) 

Kind regards.

863BC4AA-5AB3-43A3-843E-5394C8AF989F.jpeg

714519B5-5C0A-4036-BC78-4270A2B2EABB.jpeg

ACA7E4B3-581B-4E8B-AB18-2DCD9691D15C.jpeg

6314344A-8C87-4652-BA26-1B4F242A4EC4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Along with the photo of the base can you try to take a closeup photo of the serrations.  I need to see what the denticles look like.   Also do you have a locality of where the tooth was found need a State and County.  Thanks

The tooth by the way is beautiful.  I love juvenile material its more difficult to find than adult.

45 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Along with the photo of the base can you try to take a closeup photo of the serrations.  I need to see what the denticles look like.   Also do you have a locality of where the tooth was found need a State and County.  Thanks

The tooth by the way is beautiful.  I love juvenile material its more difficult to find than adult.

I will provide everything unfortunately in two weeks since I just went on holiday. It will be hard to have a clear picture of the denticles but I will try my best.

Thanks for the compliment!!! :) 

Regards.

Looks like an acheroraptor tooth to me given the size, shape and formation, but I'm not sure what their serration density is so I could be wrong.

Serration density on such small teeth is not significant.  Too smooth are a crown for Acheroraptor, no ridges

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 2:20 PM, Troodon said:

On 07/04/2019 at 11:10 AM, Rockwood said:

Going to need a look at the root end.

Someone is. :)

I am back with some pictures of the tooth end as well as the denticles.

I know they are not the best but It will be hard to get anything more clear... because of how small the tooth is...

I really need a microscope. I can take more pictures if it can help. 

Thanks a lot for helping me. 

Kind regards.

1CC8FD26-2979-4FCC-A8D7-7950FB953AD4.jpeg

5DEAF672-AA36-4D25-8CAD-330F15CCF207.jpeg

45C7163E-72D1-4D25-93CF-50D25A85C0DF.jpeg

0B854824-A8A9-4772-B138-1F134B356E93.jpeg

3D56338B-6D41-4596-917A-192589030FD2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Great photos thanks...does the mesial edge have serrations and how far down does it come, does it twist or straight?  So the distal carina density at midline is 6/mm?

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

Great photos thanks...does the mesial edge have serrations and how far down does it come, does it twist or straight?  So the distal carina density at midline is 6/mm?

Mesial edge is serrated, here are some pictures.

Correct, distal carina density at midline is 6/mm.

Thanks again and ask for more pics if needed.

A940A8BA-70DB-4022-8E81-730FA11BD9F1.jpeg

A566D348-B9E3-4595-B86B-9FF10750859B.jpeg

6FE6344A-BF13-4C45-88CC-CC8F269E00B5.jpeg

Thank you.  I see that the  serrations are visible on the mesial edge, did not believe they were based on your initial comments.  Last question can you then provide me a serration count midline for 1 mm.  Want to see if they are the same or different than distal.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thank you.  I see that the  serrations are visible on the mesial edge, did not believe they were based on your initial comments.  Last question can you then provide me a serration count midline for 1 mm.  Want to see if they are the same or different than distal.

It was so hard to take clear pictures it is unreal... I don’t think I can do any better. Hopefully they are good enough.

To me, it seems like the midline serration count on the mesial is 9/mm. Feel free to count yourself, pretty sure I’m close though. Definitely higher count than distal.

I left the best pics I have if you want to zoom in and count again.

Thanks again and don’t hesitate to ask anything. 

Cheers.

9546AB1F-F02B-4D0D-B103-55F6CC970031.jpeg

99FC2CEB-6A17-43AC-A88D-085009446EFF.jpeg

E1E8E9E0-4ECC-44AA-99F4-C41546722988.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I wish everyone did as good a job taking photos, thank you.   Not 100% certain but has all the characteristics of Dakotaraptor so I would lean that way.  Nice addition :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 5

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I wish everyone did as good a job taking photos, thank you.   Not 100% certain but has all the characteristics of Dakotaraptor so I would lean that way.  Nice addition :dinothumb:

Absolutely awesome news!  Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Cheers!:yay-smiley-1:

OK, now that was a most informative thread. Thanks. And great score! What an interesting creature, the Dakotaraptor! Cheers.

49 minutes ago, MrR said:

OK, now that was a most informative thread. Thanks. And great score! What an interesting creature, the Dakotaraptor! Cheers.

It was super interesting indeed. How we can associate different features of such a small tooth to a specie is pretty amazing.

Thank you!

Cheers.

What a little beauty . Congratulations on your fantastic addition to your collection.  Great photos too. Cheers Bobby 

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

What a little beauty . Congratulations on your fantastic addition to your collection.  Great photos too. Cheers Bobby 

Thank you! :)

5 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

fantastic addition. Beautiful little tooth

Thanks a lot.

Cheers