How to indentify tyrannosaur teeth from the Judith River formation Montana and the dinosaur park formation Alberta.

dinosaur man

Not to long ago I got a gorgosaur tooth as shown on my other post strange juvenile gorgosaurus tooth when I was studying it I did some research to make sure it’s a gorgosaur tooth I found out there are ways to indentify tyrannosaur teeth from Canada and Montana the main way is the cross section if the cross section is fat more like a circle it’s a despletosaurus if it’s more skinnier more oval shaped it’s a gorgosaur also another way is the size if it’s more then 3 inches it’s despletosaurus if it’s 3 inches or less it’s probably a gorgosaur or a small despletosaurus tooth the top tooth is a  despletosaurus then the cross sections the first cross section is a despletosaurus see it looks more like a circle then the gorgosaur more of a oval then the gorgosaur tooth 

C211C815-792E-4191-837E-00A2D987041E.jpeg

8F5ADF7A-8068-4FCD-9010-E4E846EAA5F4.jpeg

467B61CF-FBEE-4BF8-A695-C5C5B031CEDD.jpeg

A3366903-6E3D-4387-A1B1-2C74D4002C88.jpeg

Edited by dinosaur man

You need to read the paper I attached in the other post.  The cross-section at the base of the tooth is your indicator of tooth position and not a species identifier.   Teeth with a  circular/ oval teeth are typical of Anterior dentary locations in the jaw.  Rectangular teeth typically reflect Maxillary teeth.    

Small Tyrannosaurid teeth from the Campanian if North America cannot be distinguished between each other.

Figure from that paper.

Screenshot_2019-04-07-08-19-11.thumb.jpg.9a101920d48cf215b06f17ed4bffc916.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You need to read the paper I attached in the other post.  The cross-section at the base of the tooth is your indicator of tooth position and not a species identifier.   Teeth with a  circular/ oval teeth are typical of Anterior dentary locations in the jaw.  Rectangular teeth typically reflect Maxillary teeth.    

Small Tyrannosaurid teeth from the Campanian if North America cannot be distinguished between each other.

Right on target :dinothumb:

So that means this is a distal maxillary tooth thank you I didn’t know that 

Know I know what the name of my tyrannosaur tooth is 

37 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

So that means this is a distal maxillary tooth thank you I didn’t know that 

Thats correct its a Maxillary tooth