planned visit to Kremmling

ober

Hello all, 

This post is about two months before I can report any field experience but instead is a request for some more specific direction for ammonite hunting N of Kremmling, Colorado. I know we can not collect in the Ammonite Cretaceous Study Area, but I know, from the forum,  that there are places outside the study area available for collecting. I have the Steamboat Springs BLM map, the Wolford Mountain Travel Management map, the Kremmling BLM field office map to the study area and have traced the route on Google earth to what I think is the study area. It is off dirt road route 26 to the left several miles in off Rt 40. I think the GPS coordinates for what looks like a parking area outside a gated entrance are 40 13 51 N, 106 23 55 W. 

Assuming this is correct, can someone who has had collecting experience in the area direct me to a potentially fruitful are where I can hopefully find ammonites?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

Without giving too much away... go to the fenced in area (NO collecting) and follow the geology.  Be prepared to walk, and if you do find a really big one, you might have to leave it there because they can be extremely heavy.  

• I found this Informative 1

JPC,

Thanks for flagging ‘follow the geology.’ Good advice. Any clue as which way to walk from the parking area at the study site? Right or Left? This will be a one off visit for me since I live in Florida and I am hopeful that this can be a productive visit. Any additional hint/clue will be appreciated. 

Tom