First trip over to st. Leon for the year.

Fossil Claw

Fossil hunt at St Leon Indiana today.  One inch square for scale.

8 Flexicalymene.  One so small I can't even believe I saw it. Some mini brachiopods, some small horn coral and some gastropods.

IMG_20190407_142135-2024x1713.jpg

IMG_20190407_201516-2024x1518-1518x1139.jpg

IMG_20190407_201545-2024x1518-1518x1139.jpg

IMG_20190407_201536-2024x1518-1518x1139.jpg

IMG_20190407_201607-2024x1518-1518x1139.jpg

IMG_20190407_201556-2024x1518-1518x1139.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Nice finds, I can never find a Trilobite when I go, I think I need to get lower to the ground :)

what a beautiful and diversified fauna :) great finds 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Some small bugs and brachs are minuscule!... Ya must have been pretty close to the ground as Nim suggests.

6 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice finds, I can never find a Trilobite when I go, I think I need to get lower to the ground :)

Let me know next time you going to go I can show you exactly where they're at.

I typically find 6 to 12 every time I go.  

You literally have to get on your hands and knees with your face and a half or so from the ground and crawl to find them.

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Some small bugs and brachs are minuscule!... Ya must have been pretty close to the ground as Nim suggests.

Hands and knees like playing horse rides with a kid.

Great find! 

Some of those brachiopods are gorgeous.:drool:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Beautiful finds! I really love the Brachs and the rugs coral. Preservation is beautiful. Hopefully I can make it out to Indiana sometime :) 

Since the cut exposes almost the entire Richmond "group" and includes a variety of different paleo environments you can come away with a huge variety of fossils. The trick is knowing what layers to explore and concentrate on. The blue shale butter layers are where those little bugs come from. But go up near the top into the Upper Whitewater/Saluda and you will find colonial corals along with the rugose varieties as well as a variety of cephalopods. The upper middle Liberty layers have an amazing variety of brachiopods and bryozoans AND can produce other rare trilobites.  Then at the very bottom in the Arnheim the unusual brachiopod Retrorsirostra shows up.

I have spent most of my limited trips there in those blue shales. Along with the little Flexicalymenes I have found a few small Isotelus rollers and crinoid crowns. I REALLY REALLY need to get back there....Dang you all I'm getting Cinci fever bad!

37 minutes ago, erose said:

Since the cut exposes almost the entire Richmond "group" and includes a variety of different paleo environments you can come away with a huge variety of fossils. The trick is knowing what layers to explore and concentrate on. The blue shale butter layers are where those little bugs come from. But go up near the top into the Upper Whitewater/Saluda and you will find colonial corals along with the rugose varieties as well as a variety of cephalopods. The upper middle Liberty layers have an amazing variety of brachiopods and bryozoans AND can produce other rare trilobites.  Then at the very bottom in the Arnheim the unusual brachiopod Retrorsirostra shows up.

I have spent most of my limited trips there in those blue shales. Along with the little Flexicalymenes I have found a few small Isotelus rollers and crinoid crowns. I REALLY REALLY need to get back there....Dang you all I'm getting Cinci fever bad!

Let me know if you plan a trip. We can go together.

I have never explored the upper layers since I love the little bugs.

10/10 would prep those rollers (if I had the experience).

Awesome selection!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

7 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

10/10 would prep those rollers (if I had the experience).

Awesome selection!

10/10?

On 4/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, Fossil Claw said:

10/10?

Definitely would prep those rollers.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

52 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Definitely would prep those rollers.

I have around 45 to 50 St Leon rollers. Not counting the aditional 20 or so I have traded, given it away or put in options to support the form.

So really no big deal if I mess a couple up practicing air abraiding them.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...

I stopped by St. Leon last Thursday on my way from Ontario (via Paulding) back to Georgia.  I found 5 nice Flexicalymene rollers, all by crawling the Liberty horizon.  Loaded up on some nice brachiopods as well, just because I can't resist a nice perfect brachiopod completely free from the matrix.  I had hoped to get some time in the other formations but once again I spent so much time in the Liberty I barely got to look below that, and had no time to go up higher in the section.  Next time, maybe.  

Don