Kane

It's been about five months since I've been able to get out and dig, so when my collecting comrade and I arranged it, off we went. The weather was perfect, although it was muddy going. Spent about a day and a half at our site.

Finds were not the best for some species, but the focus was more on site preparation. Pictured here are some Greenops widderensis. Both are missing parts, so will likely be in the grafting pile:

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Oodles of brachs, goniatites, nautiloids, etc, which is typical of this formation. I bucketed a few as gifts for others. The goniatites can come out very shiny, but very tiny. 

Also pictured here is what I suspect to be a phyllocarid. Unlike some other locations (such as in Central NY), they don't preserve all that well or appear as distinct in the matrix. I've also included the obligatory coral shot... After you find one or two nice pieces the first few trips, it is just ballast to pick any more up.

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

My trip-maker is now my jigsaw puzzle. This is a placoderm, Protitanichthys sp. I'm still putting it all together. It was situated in a very hard layer, so extraction was slow. I also managed to collect the impression side. 

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

Great finds, Kane!

I like the Phyllocarid, and the Placoderm is awesome. 

Congrats on a successful hunt. 

Glad you got out. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Kane that is awesome. Way to go. The Goniatite has pyrite on it. Nice Placoderm and trilobites. All around a very successful trip with @Malcolmt

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Glad that you were able to get out and collect some nice stuff!:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the finds. I especially like that placoderm armour. 

Wow, those ar great Devonian fossils . congrats with the placoderm :) .

and of cours the goniatites :ninja:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Thanks, all... Still need to put that fish puzzle together. :coffee:

@Manticocerasman - Heh, our goniatites are puny compared to the ones you have over there! Ours tend to average to about the size of a Euro coin. The tradeoff is probably trilobites (your goniaties maybe ate them all, which is why they are so large?). :D 

Nice finds, made me go check to see if my passport is up to date. Ontario is just over the border from New York:D

7 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Nice finds, made me go check to see if my passport is up to date. Ontario is just over the border from New York:D

:D ... Well, even if you couldn't make the drive, if you've collected the silica shale in Ohio or equivalent formations in Michigan, we share a lot of the same fauna. The only difference up here is that the fossils are in metric, and say sorry a lot. :P 

• I found this Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

:D ... Well, even if you couldn't make the drive, if you've collected the silica shale in Ohio or equivalent formations in Michigan, we share a lot of the same fauna. The only difference up here is that the fossils are in metric, and say sorry a lot. :P 

...and speak French?

Just now, Scylla said:

...and speak French?

Only half the time, but considerably less as you travel west. :P 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Thanks, all... Still need to put that fish puzzle together. :coffee:

@Manticocerasman - Heh, our goniatites are puny compared to the ones you have over there! Ours tend to average to about the size of a Euro coin. The tradeoff is probably trilobites (your goniaties maybe ate them all, which is why they are so large?). :D 

I ve seen some realy big goniatites from the NY area ( gephuroceratids ) so there should be some bigger ones. 

but indeed here trilobites are elusive. I ve found some fragments, but never a complete specimen.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.