Troodon

Tiny Texas dinosaur finally has a name nearly 35 years after discovery.  The new ornithopod is called Convolosaurus marri.

Material from a minimum of twenty-nine individuals of a new ornithopod, represented by nearly every skeletal element, was recovered from the Proctor Lake locality in the Twin Mountains Formation (Aptian) of north-central Texas

News article

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/science-medicine/2019/04/04/tiny-texas-dinosaur-finally-gets-name

Paper

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0207935

A new basal ornithopod (Dinosauria: Ornithischia) from the E Cretaceous of Texas

Kate A. Andrzejewski, Dale A. Winkler, Louis L. Jacobs

Published: March 12, 2019

https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207935

journal_pone.0207935_g002.thumb.PNG.c39042c010dd3a688a66ccb5a3d7d79b.PNG

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks for posting. I attended the June Dallas Paleo Society talk at which one of the authors of the paper, Kate A. Andrzejewski, gave a fascinating talk on this then upcoming paper. She wasn’t allowed at the time to give away the genus/species name, so I have been waiting for this.

35 years since discovery is quite a long wait, but then paleontology isn’t exactly the fastest kind of science. 

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Thanks for posting. I attended the June Dallas Paleo Society talk at which one of the authors of the paper, Kate A. Andrzejewski, gave a fascinating talk on this then upcoming paper. She wasn’t allowed at the time to give away the genus/species name, so I have been waiting for this.

35 years since discovery is quite a long wait, but then paleontology isn’t exactly the fastest kind of science. 

Those type of talks are usually excellent and super informative.  Have you seen the display at the Perot Museum?

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Those type of talks are usually excellent and super informative.  Have you seen the display at the Perot Museum?

I think so, but my last visit to the Perot was a few years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. But I do plan to revisit within the next few weeks, this time looking at the specimens with a renewed understanding of their significance. 

1 minute ago, Heteromorph said:

I think so, but my last visit to the Perot was a few years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. But I do plan to revisit within the next few weeks, this time looking at the specimens with a renewed understanding of their significance. 

Please take pictures and post

Just now, Troodon said:

Please take pictures and post

Most assuredly will. I also have tons of pictures from the meeting in June, some of which might not be in the paper. I will dig through them and see if any are worth posting.

16 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

Most assuredly will. I also have tons of pictures from the meeting in June, some of which might not be in the paper. I will dig through them and see if any are worth posting.

Thanks