fossil full of many shells that needs ID

matthew textor

Hi everyone this is matt again 

does anyone know what the shells in this fossil are ? 

It came from 28 mile creek near 28th creek rd.near IMG_2528.JPG.d17aa6fe6b52497a9558d0a132a47a34.JPGIMG_2529.JPG.ce17edfd45e32716920fc0f35b02a3f0.JPG kennedy n.y. and ellington n.y.  

Cool find, it is what we call a 'hash plate' full of brachiopods. I'm not sure of the age of the area you described, but we have plenty of very knowledgeable New York Staters who will be able to help. 

It's probably brachiopods. 

But I have absolutely no idea which ones, not enough detail showing and these are seemingly internal molds. 

Maybe Devonian? 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi Matt,

It's hard to be certain, but I think most of the shells are chonetid brachiopods such as (maybe) Devonochonetes.  The photo is a little out of focus.  Perhaps you could take another photo, and check to make sure it is sharply focused on the fossils?  Also it may help to wet the rock, but not so wet as to cause reflections or glare.  Just damp often helps to bring out detail.

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hi Matt,

It's hard to be certain, but I think most of the shells are chonetid brachiopods such as (maybe) Devonochonetes.  The photo is a little out of focus.  Perhaps you could take another photo, and check to make sure it is sharply focused on the fossils?  Also it may help to wet the rock, but not so wet as to cause reflections or glare.  Just damp often helps to bring out detail.

Don

I agree, some certainly look like chonetids