A robot recreates the walk of a 300-million-year-old animal

Brett Breakin' Rocks

I was hunting for other locomotion break-downs tonight for my animation class and happened upon a cool project that uses live action footage of similar vertebrates, xray scans, trackway measurements and data to 'recreate' a probable gait for an extinct Orobates pabsti.  It was interesting to see the kinematic animations / models that were used to inform the final robotic motion. Curious if any artists were involved.

https://www.scienceandtechnologyresearchnews.com/a-robot-recreates-the-walk-of-a-300-million-year-old-animal/

" Using the fossil and fossilized footprints of a 300-million-year-old animal, an interdisciplinary team that includes scientists from EPFL and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin have developed a method for identifying the most likely gaits of extinct animals and designed a robot that can recreate their walk. This innovative study of animal biomechanics using robots can help researchers better understand how vertebrate locomotion evolved over time. "

Here me out ... I would love to see this applied to theropods.  ------> Boston Dynamics robot meets ostrich gait and run simulation.  

:envy:

Cheers,

Brett